Sunday, October 30, 2016

Neo NaNo

Tuesday launches the 2016 version of National Novel Writing Month. Despite the fact that our national political drama could provide at least fifty thousand words of stranger-than-fiction-truth in the first eight days of the month, the idea is to take the entire month to create new work. 

Word sprints, word wars, prompts, challenges, rabbit holes, plot bunnies, and all the rest of the support provided by the good people at the Office of Letters and Light will begin soon. I did my first NaNoWriMo back in 2010, and the rough draft I generated became my second novel, You, Jane. Every November since then, I've generated at least 50,000 new words - and now I have far more works in progress than works completed.

So, I'm launching my own version of NaNo this week: my Neo NaNo. Same tools, different goal: complete revisions on one or more manuscript.

A wonderful freelance editor with whom I've partnered on several works has contributed developmental editing notes on two of my WIPs. My intention to create a blog-based serial is half completed. Last year's NaNo-generated rough draft of a "Shark Story" lies ready for revision. 

In true NaNo spirit I will determine which project will receive my Neo NaNo attention on or about 11:59 pm on October 31. 

Whatever tools work for you, whether you are one of those disciplined souls who writes one thousand words a day, a binge writer, or someone who hops between styles, use November to nurture your creative practice. Let us know how it goes!

Elizabeth Fountain is the author of hard-to-categorize-into-a-single-genre comic novels An Alien's Guide to World Domination and You, Jane. Learn more about her at her website. 

0 comments: