Thursday, September 15, 2016

It's a Good Thing I Have Writing!

            This has been a summer best ignored. First I tore my Achilles tendon last fall and it took a year to sort of recover. Because I was slightly unsteady we didn’t get the boat in the water until mid-July. The next week I caught some mysterious ailment three doctors couldn’t agree on and that kept me confined to home for over a month and a half.

            It’s a good thing I have writing to amuse me or I would have gone stark raving mad. (Madder?). Between editing chores, and new writing, the computer has become even more of a constant companion. I can only watch so much TV or read so much of the stuff from other writers. I’d much rather write my own, but one can only spend so much time of the day on the keyboard.

            Writer’s tip of the day. Don’t sit for more than twenty minutes at a time. Get a coffee (I just did). Walk around the room twice. Stare out the window. Be careful of your posture if you want to keep at our favorite trade!

Today I decided to take stock of where I’m at.

            I have a new novel coming out shortly, the second in a trilogy, and the third completed for 2017. That will mean serious rounds of editing to look forward to. I promised myself I would have two novellas in my Housetrap Chronicles series (numbers eight and nine) finished by the end of this year. I’m about a third of the way into number eight and have half a page of notes on number nine. This could be a problem.

            I have to get ready to man a table at Comic Con at the end of October. William Shatner will be there and they expect a larger crowd than the usual uncontrollable madhouse.

            But other writing ideas have started to interfere with my day. A publisher expressed an interest in seeing a children’s story I wrote a few years ago. I really should clean that up and send it in. Then there is the brilliant idea I had for a space opera. I made a few notes, and then just had to write the first chapter down to see what it would look like.

            Where does the day go?

            Second Writer’s tip of the day. I know all of you know this, but it bears repeating, just the same. The story structure of a novel should contain all these six major elements:

-          The Hook
-          The Inciting Incident
-          The Overarching Story Question
-          Reversals
-          Turning Points
-          The Climax

            To make matters worse, this weekend we have to pull the boat back out of the water. It never got a chance to even leave the dock this year. The bottom should be covered by all sorts of disgusting things. Fortunately my eldest daughter and my wife have agreed to help me clean it up due to my (weakened?) condition. This could mean a very expensive lunch or dinner though.

            I know I said a lot of this last month, but it’s worth repeating. It’s a good thing I have my writing to keep me close to sane. I suspect it’s much cheaper than therapy.

R.J.Hore
www.ronaldhore.com
www.facebook.com/RonaldJHore

The Dark Lady, Dark Days, Dark Knights (a trilogy)
The Queen’s Pawn, The Queen’s Man, The Queen’s Game (a trilogy)
The Housetrap Chronicles (Volumes 1 to 7)
Alex in Wanderland,
Knight’s Bridge
We’re Not in Kansas
Toltec Dawn

0 comments: