Sunday, July 10, 2016

Art and Community

I write this post at the end of a very difficult week, one in which violence seemed to dominate the news. I wonder about how to respond, as a person and a creative artist.

Art is one of the ways we as humans try to understand and express ourselves. As writers, we have an important role to play in this ongoing endeavor. Our stories can show the best and worst of humanity, explore the rich variety of human experience, tackle big questions, examine alternative answers.

Perhaps just as meaningful, our work can help people lose themselves, escape for a while, laugh, cry, and be carried along in pure entertainment.

My heart is saddened by violence and loss. I offer condolences to those who grieve, and I pick up my pen to continue the creative work of knitting our human family together through stories.

Elizabeth Fountain is the author of An Alien's Guide to World Domination and You, Jane; she lives in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. More of her work can be found on her web site here.

0 comments: