Saturday, April 30, 2016

When Do You Need a Break From Writing?

I am in the thralls of edits for my summer cozy mystery release of Wine, Friends and Murder – A New Smyrna Beach Mystery. In the mist of rewrites I created six puzzles for Gospel Herald and wrote an article for Woman's World. I told myself, as soon as I'm finished with edits, I'm taking a break from writing. Sure I take Saturday night off for date night with Hubby, but I mean a true to goodness break, not working on anything for an extended amount of time. Except, I received a contract in the mail to write and article that I haven't started. So, perhaps a break after I complete the job.

I feel if I would take a break, I would somehow be rejuvenated. I once heard an artist say she didn't like to get 'art jobs' because it made something she loved to do, seem like work. As a writer how do you stop to take an extended break? The ideas still come, and the works in progress still call out. I have a middle grade novel that is almost finished and several ideas burning in my soul, flooding my dreams and filling my quiet moments.

Taking a break sounds refreshing, but when life gets too busy and I don't write, it isn't a break. I feel like a caged animal. I realize many writers wish they had deadlines because then you know you’re making progress. Perhaps it's the need for balance, the need to simply write and not be on constant deadline.
 
Please visit me at victoriaroder.com
Coming soon from Champagne Books Group
 Logline: Wine, Friends and Murder - A New Smyrna Beach Mystery
A prescription drug ring, a murder, and a kidnapping lead three friends to form Dames Investigating Crimes and Killers, otherwise known as D.I.C.KS.

2 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I think Balance needs to be the new buzzword for writers, because there's no time for it and it's something we're all going to be sorry for, I'm afraid.

Victoria Roder said...

I think you're right. Especially when or if you have a full-time job, family and friends.