Thursday, March 3, 2016

How Do You Read a Book?


Besides spending most days head down, writing my own stuff, I also volunteer as a reviewer for an on-line magazine. I’m the genre reviewer, which means I get to read a lot of sci fi and fantasy, some from established writers, and some not quite so much. This means, until recently, I didn’t have a lot of time for “me” reading, strictly for the heck/fun of it.

I banged up my leg a few months back which slowed me down enough that I dug out my library card for the first time in several years and headed off to peruse someone else’s shelf. That’s when I took note of how I read a book now.

First, since I live in the world of frequently-being-edited, I now tend to notice things like the wrong word, a misspelled word, or any formatting problems. This doesn’t usually detract from the enjoyment of a good story, although I have been known to grumble. In glaring cases I complain out loud, “They should have hired a good editor!”

If I’m really enjoying the read I have trouble sitting down for long stretches and going through it. That would shorten the pleasure. So I’ll set the book down after a chapter or two and wander off in search of a distraction. I want to extend the read for as long as possible even though I’m dying to find out what is happening on the next page.

I do remember one book I was reviewing, however. After just about every page or two I had to set it down because I was getting a headache. You can imagine what sort of review it received. Fortunately that is the exception.

I try to stick to reading only one book at a time. Of course, I also have the morning paper (I’m old fashioned) and the regular monthly (paper!) magazines. They come in handy when taking a break from the keyboard and looking for a change of pace.

That’s the way I read a good book these days, slowly, like sipping a fine wine. How about you? Do you read non-stop through to the end, or do you like to extend the guilty pleasure when you come across one?

R.J.Hore
www.ronaldhore.com
www.facebook.com/RonaldJHore

The Dark Lady, Dark Days, Dark Knights (a trilogy)
The Queen’s Pawn, The Queen’s Man, The Queen’s Game due out 2016 (a trilogy)
The Housetrap Chronicles (Volumes 1 to 7)
Alex in Wanderland,
Knight’s Bridge

0 comments: