Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Are Conferences Worth Your Time?


Before beginning the month's post, I just want to say how sad I am about Big Mike. He was generous with his support, suggestions, and humor. I will miss him.

Much as my heart isn't it this, I want to talk about writers conferences. You may wonder if they are worth the time and cost? They most definitely are, especially for those of you new to writing, Last year I was unable to attend a single conference and I feel that I missed out. I attended my first writers conference in Austin in 2008 before I even considered becoming a writer. Not only did I learn about the basics of completing a novel, I met dozens of enthusiastic writers, and, most importantly, left energized and excited. So all of you, no matter where you are in the profession, do yourself a favor and commit to going to a conference in 2016.

Chuck Sambuchino in the blog, The Write Life, wrote a useful post about choosing the right conference. Go to The Writer's Life Conference Advice and read it. I decided to attend a one day conference called The Houston Writing Conference for a couple of reasons: it's 45 minutes from my house, it's only one day, and a couple of agents I planned on contacting are attending. It's next month so I'll fill you in how it went in my next post.

This is short, but I'm feeling sad about Big Mike. I'll do better next month.


Gabby

0 comments: