Tuesday, December 29, 2015

NO's Aren't Fatal


Once again, I'm lucky enough to be one of the last blog posts of the year. As those of you (all four of you) who read my posts know, I love the beginning of the new year. No matter what my resolutions, I pledge them with the hope that this will be the year magic happens.


Yes, it's true, I am forever optimistic, which perhaps makes me forever foolish. As writers, we are forever hopeful. Others may call us fools, but so what. If we aren't always hoping, always striving, always ignoring the more sensible routes, we'd never get anywhere. And when all the fluff is brushed aside, the truth is that all we really risk is hearing the word NO. Such a small word with such an enormous impact on our lives in general and our writing lives in particular.

Just think of all the NO's we have to go through for that one, magical YES. YES is another tiny word that packs an enormous punch. The thing is, the most important thing for all of us dreamers and hopers to remember, is that neither word is fatal. Hearing NO after NO is painful, true, but no one has ever died from being turned down.

Now, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to dying a little bit inside with each NO. It hurts, but only a little and that's what we as writers must always remember. My non-writing friends and family members don't get why I subject myself to rejection. I could just stop trying and give up. The world would continue on its way and my life would too. But what's the fun in that.

So to all writers out there, keep plugging along and keep brushing off those NO's because you never know when you'll hear a YES. And YES's are the stuff of magic.


0 comments: