Sunday, November 22, 2015

11-22-1963


Fifty-two years later and the assassination of John F. Kennedy still remains a hot topic for debate. According to Bowker about one thousand five hundred books have been written about that day. Most propound an assortment of conspiracy theories from how the military industrial complex arranged the killing, to how the CIA framed Lee Harvey Oswald. LBJ held a meeting the night before the assassination with several powerful men from government, the oil industry, his own sister and members of the Bush family and planned his presidency. LBJ secretly cheered when Kennedy died.
Conspiracies abound. What are you waiting for? Read two or three of the books and write your own crazy concept of that day in Dallas.
I was young and idealistic, adored the Kennedy family and was devastated at his murder.
 We were driving down to the San Diego Zoo from Los Angeles when I saw a group of men clustered around a road construction truck. Wondering what they were listening to, I turned on the car radio and heard, “…if you can, go into a church and pray for our president.” That was followed by the sketchy details of the shooting. My husband asked if he should stop at the next town.
I said, “No. Last night I saw an upside down flag in the entrance to the hallway. I wondered what it meant, but now I know. The president is dead. There’s no point in praying for him to survive, because he didn’t.”
He stopped anyway and I dutifully went in, knelt at the altar railing and pretended to pray. It made him feel better as he waited outside with our two little girls.
We went on to the zoo.


On Sunday I watched television as Jack Ruby burst through the crowd and shot Lee Harvey Oswald. The immediate reactions started a multi-million dollar business of creating a multitude of conspiracies, but apparently still not enough to satisfy everyone.
I liked the idea of the Kennedys and Camelot. Then I grew up.

Veronica Helen Hart is the author of seven published books, including the award winning Prince of Keegan Bay, from Champagne Books, Elena-the Girl with the Piano, and Escape from Iran from Uppity Women Press. Pictured in the photo is Marie Louise McIntyre at the San Diego Zoo, November 22, 1963. "The gorilla looked sad."


0 comments: