Monday, October 19, 2015

ON THE CRASH OF MY COMPUTER

I never thought it would happen to me.  While editing two of my books for re-release, my laptop screen went black. It didn’t fade. It didn’t blink or scroll. It just went black. Having used computers for many years, I tried all the tricks of the trade – restart, safe mode, removing and reinserting the battery et al. Not even a blink. When I lifted the laptop to change out the battery, I heard something like a small marble rolling inside.

A trip to the local computer shop confirmed my worst fear  -  a major crash resulting from a shorted out motherboard. Fortunately, the hard drive was intact and the data could be salvaged – or so we thought.  In three days I was using my touch-screen all-in-one with most of the data restored.  Unfortunately, I lost a bit of data, but it could have been worse.

Lessons learned? BACK UP OFTEN.  My backup to my external hard drive was a couple of months old, but I hadn’t done a lot of writing because of our move. It could have been MUCH worse. I plan to back up every time I use the computer, even if it’s to a thumb drive. I hear clouds are nice also, but haven't used it.

RESEARCH YOUR COMPUTER PURCHASE THOROUGHLY.  When my second Toshiba laptop started to slow down three years ago, I replaced it with another Toshiba without a lot of research. If I had done my due diligence, I would have discovered that the newer laptops had a lot of problems with the hinges breaking. Unfortunately, when the hinge on my computer broke, it shorted the motherboard and destroyed the computer.  The problem had been documented all over the internet with no fix by the company. As a matter of fact, the tech denied they’d ever had a problem with the hinge – even when I referred him to his own Users’ Forum.   WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK IT OUT.
BTW, I’d like thank Jude Johnson for her dedication over the years to the success of THE WRITERS VINEYARD.  Jude posted her last blog this week. We will certainly miss her and wish her well. Rita Bay

2 comments:

Nikki said...

My sympathies, Rita. Plugging in my external memory right now.
Nikki

Cindy said...

Been there... done it, all too often. I learn my lesson for a spell, and then my life gets in the way and I do it again.

Also, wishing Jude everything wonderful. Will miss her blogs. Also, I (we) are grateful for all her hard work over the years.