Saturday, October 24, 2015

Calling All Authors: Can You Relate?

I received an answer to the question:
Were you married on Halloween:
An author said:

My husband and I got married on Halloween 28 years ago. It was a Saturday and the church and reception hall were available on that date. We didn't think much of it, but my husband did want us both to wear Groucho Marx eyeglasses and mustaches as we walked into the reception area. I refused since I was trying to look beautiful that day. An entire table of our law firm colleagues wore noses (pig, duck, cat etc.) and one of them came as Dracula with white face paint and fake blood dripping out of his mouth. My brother-in-law dressed as some sort of monster. We do have some interesting photos. Once we had children, we realized that was not an ideal date for an anniversary. My husband took the girls out around the neighborhood every Halloween night and I stayed home and answered the door for the other neighborhood children.  The upside is that we will never forget our anniversary date.

Company: : www.mariaimbalzano.com Author of \"Dancing in the Sand\" and award winning \"Unchained Memoires\"


So...fall is coming...which is great, but then...it'll be winter. Blah!

Maybe it's just me, but as I get older (and keep in mind I'm only 50), I dislike the cold more and more. Bah humbug applies. My mood chills. I didn't use to be that way, but...I'm going to make the most of these last few days of warmth and really fabulous weather, and I'm going to enjoy the fall and colors, and then I'll endure winter. Well, of course, I do like the snow, but isn't there some way to have the beauty and fun of snow, without the cold? Duh. No. Silly me.

Anyway, I'm rambling about the weather, but there is a POINT:)

Writing scenes without setting and putting in the five senses is problematic because characters must be feeling and seeing something when they are doing things, so action isn't the only important aspect of a scene, but gosh, it's so difficult to think about and write in all that when you're so busy with action.

I try to go back and write in the setting after the dialog as action tags and setting, instead of stopping the momentum when I pen the first draft, but even then, it's tough to put a picture of surroundings in my head, or describe them, even if I know what I'd like them to look like, without being boring, and getting too far off topic and taking the reader, and myself, out of the action and heat of the moment.

Gotta be a happy medium of some sort, right?

Anyway, I really do like Christmas, just not the cold, and no shopping, ever, but certainly not before Halloween...both of which are flying at us like witches on brooms in a hurricane as we speak (sort of).

So go trick or treat...and watch the kids do the same. It'll warm your heart...even if it's cold outside and rainy while you run around city blocks with bags of sugar to hype the kids up on right before you try to tell them it's bedtime after trick or treating.

Good luck with that.

And good luck with writing setting and weather and all that entails.

rebeccadraco.com

0 comments: