Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It’s Almost Like Being in Love



Now that my debut fantasy, TRAITOR KNIGHT, has been unleashed upon an unsuspecting world (of course if the world had been paying the least bit of attention it would have suspected) I find my situation very much akin to being in a new romantic relationship.

Like the fellow who has just fallen in love, I’m starry-eyed and singing, walking on clouds, riding unicorns up rainbows, and generally feeling about as happy as an entire colony of clams

At the same time, like our love-struck hero, I’m nervous, uncertain, and jumpy. I’m questioning every reaction, second-guessing every action, and never sure if I’m on the really right track. Did I come on too strong? Not strong enough? Should I have sent flowers? What did that oblique comment about her sister’s boyfriend who drives a Mercedes mean? How long before I can call her again? Does she like me? 


Those are the things the newly-smitten swain obsesses over as he contemplates the object of his adoration. Similarly, the newly-published author, compulsively refreshing the Amazon Best-Seller rankings, obsesses over things like: Am I annoying people by mentioning my book too often (especially on social media)? Am I not mentioning it enough? Can I ask that famous author for a blurb? Is my new book trailer cool enough? Why didn’t that Rafflecopter giveaway generate more interest? How can I get more reviews without begging and whining? And, most importantly, how are my sales?

It’s a balancing act, to be sure. And I’m not sure which is more difficult—being in love, or being in publication. Now that I’ve experienced both, I’m still deciding. But no matter what, the whole riding-unicorns-up-rainbows thing is pretty cool. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go read up on the care and feeding of unicorns.While checking that Amazon ranking just one more time.


1 comments:

KMTolan said...

Few things compare to the launch of your first novel. Revel in your glory!

Kerry