Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Fun and Dire Opening Lines


I often make a decision on this crucial first line from an unknown author before I will read any more so I value (maybe over value) the importance of it. Rather like your first line of defense. These are opening lines from my novels already written or in progress. Which one speaks to you and might make you consider reading the book? And what is your favorite line that you’ve written or read that opens a novel?
(1) “You always hear about having a friend that will help you bury the body. Thank you,” I said with humble sincerity, looking over at my best friend as she helped shovel dirt diligently at my side.

 (2) “Corey! The beer guy’s here.” I yell extra loud for I know my brother’s in the back of Sweetwater’s, the bar and motel complex that we share custody of. I’ve got my hands full, pouring drinks as fast as I can while I’m pretty certain my dear brother has his hands full with something else entirely in the storeroom.

 (3) “Mmm . . . nice,” I murmur, raising my head for a kiss from my big bad werewolf lover, Ryder Darkson, who has his hands full caressing my naked body at this precise moment.

 (4) Today is the day I am to die.

 (5) A sound. A shadow. The breath stilled in my lungs. I froze mid-stride, icy tentacles of fear twisting around my desperate heart.

 (6) “There are two types of orgasm, Tess. I wonder if you have experienced any,” My prospective new boss, Jonathon Rothschild, smiles wickedly at me as he pronounces judgment.

 (7) My father once said a man has one job in life and that’s to keep his daughter off the pole.

 (8) “Absolutely not! You know how it’s gonna be. There’re from New York City and they’ll be all snotty and well-dressed and I don’t have anything proper to wear.”

 (9) Ten … Nine … Eight … Seven … Six … Five … Four … Three … Two … One …

(10) “There’s something wrong,” Merek sniffed, his nose wrinkling with unease. “I smell death.”

(11) “I’ll find you again, my love, I promise, I’ll come back to you,” she whispered her last breath.

(12) It started out like any other day had since she left us.

(13) I scanned the front page of The Seattle Times dated July 17, 1897 having just managed to wrestle the wrinkled pages away from one of the girls who had wheedled it from one of her late night visitors who had the audacity to get one of the last copies available from the sold out edition.

So, your turn! What line have you read or written that most speaks to you!

Best regards,

January Bain

Forever Series

Champagne Books

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Four, six and seven. They are short and intriguing. I love the off the pole remark. Sounds like something Mike Davis would say to his son-in-law.

January Bain said...

Thanks Julie, yeah, I could see Mike saying that!

Nikki said...

#5 made me hungry to read more! That's always a good sign.
I've read a ton of opening lines that made me yawn, so the catchy ones really stand out. One of my faves is: "My name is Towner Whitney. No, that's not exactly true. My real first name is Sophya. Never believe me. I lie all the time."~ from THE LACE READER by Brunonia Barry. My personal best attempt is from my so-far-unpublished novella: "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot 'em?"~ from OIL & WATER.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Nikki and January, I still like the opening salvo from Rebecca. "The last camel died at Noon."