Saturday, July 25, 2015

Coloring Therapy For Adults


You read the title correctly. Many adults are coloring for relaxation, stress release and in some cases, coloring instead of taking costly therapy. A week ago, I heard about this latest trend. Adults are gathering, taking out their coloring books and coloring for stress release. Is it awkward to initially ask your friends to drop by the house so you can color together.

I was a little concerned what I might find when I researched adult coloring books. But the books are legitimate, more sophisticated than a child's coloring book, mostly filled with geometric patterns. I have my own coloring book coming out soon. It is a companion to my children's picture book, What If A Zebra Had Triangles? Maybe I should have the publisher add the words Adult Coloring Book and I might have a hit on my hands. Recently adult coloring books ranked in the top Ten on the Amazon best-sellers list.

Adults claim when they color, it allows your mind to relax and go blank. Coloring allows you to let go of the worry of bills, chores and work. Same benefits happen for people in Wisconsin when they get together and drink, maybe I'll start the trend here. What's your choice of relaxation? Are you ready to try adult coloring therapy?


I'm author Victoria Roder and I write something for everyone. If you like murder mystery check out Bolt Action. Ghost Stories? You'll love Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary. Have children or grandchildren? My picture books include, What If A Zebra Had Triangles and An Important Job to Do: A Noah's Are Tale. Are the kids reading chapter books? Sled Dog Tales and The Curse of King Ramesses II are adventure filled and fun. I also created a puzzle book for teens and adults and have a coloring book coming soon, I've copied two of the pictures for you to color. Don't forget copyright rules and only use for your personal enjoyment. Please check out my website Thanks, Victoria Roder



9 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

What a super idea! Better than a quilting bee and safer than a booze party. Good luck with your book. Yes, add the "adult coloring" book to it. If nothig else,it will attract attention.

Victoria Roder said...

Very good point, Julie struggling authors need all the attention they can get. I enjoyed coloring with the kids and now with my granddaughter, thought that was the only time I could get away with it.

Michele said...

I am a writer and artist. Sometimes, when I am busy, just going into my art room for a couple of minutes and handling art supplies makes me feel good. And sometimes I long to feel that brush in my hand, to do something visceral! When I was in high school, I longed to take an art class, but my schedule was too full of math and science (which I also loved.) But my homeroom was in the art room and I hated leaving home room each day! Yes, art is very soothing and fun.

Nikki said...

Knitting, cross-stitch,and needlepoint work in much the same way for me. Some people recite repetitive prayers. My husband mows grass. We both hike. At least 30 years ago, my mother, an RN, worked for a dermatologist who used to take breaks from his high-stress schedule with--you guessed it--coloring books. It's all about finding a way to quiet the overly busy "monkey mind" with simple, absorbing activities that allow the deep meditative state to emerge. Aren't we lucky to have so many such outlets?

Victoria Roder said...

I'd have to add watching a campfire to outlets to let your brain take a rest.

Mark said...

Coloring allows your mind to go blank? But the problem is that my mind is usually very blank. I'd write more, but I'm having trouble concentrating. Maybe I just need a little nap...

Victoria Roder said...

A problem concentrating is why I write in so many different categories. Stuck on adult novel, work on a children's book. Stuck on children's picture book move on and create a puzzle.

Jenna Greene said...

I am so hip! I coloured A LOT in university to keep myself sane. I've never been ahead of the times before. Go me!

R Michael Phillips said...

There's just no end to your talent! Great to see you doing so well. Cheers, Mike