Saturday, July 4, 2015

Calling All Authors: Can You Relate?

I know it's a holiday, and if you're like me, you're doing something besides writing today...like eating too much, or getting too much sun, or chasing after relatives.

But if you're not, let's talk about writing!

Writing versus Editing: I love writing...but I don't like editing much at all:( I usually write one draft fairly quickly, and I truly enjoy that part, getting inside my characters' heads and such, but then comes the torture of self-editing, then working on whatever my editor asks me to, and I am of the mind that my editor knows best. I know I've heard horror stories of people who didn't like making changes their editors or agents or publishers asked them to, but I haven't had any disagreements with editors, so far, and I think it would be tough for me to want to argue with them. But one never knows;)

Food: Do you write about food in you books, sitting down to meals, or even using food as symbolism? I think some food can be seen as erotic and sexy, but it is also a universal activity we can all relate to: fear of food and what it does to your body, but also the unifying need for it, and how we enjoy each other's company around the table, or wherever we eat, even if it's sitting on the ground at a picnic or on the run. We can understand how frustrating the need for food can be and the need not to eat too much but the desire to do so. Everyone can relate to food in the same way everyone can relate to the weather. It is a necessary evil that is sometimes enjoyed.

Weather: Speaking of the weather...Do you set your scenes on rainy days and scary storms when frightening events occur, or can those same sorts of frightening events occur on the most beautiful days? Horror happens at any given time, not just on rainy days or during dark nights. Murder and mayhem can take place at 2pm on a cloudless day. I sometimes sit in my happy home and wonder what horrifying things are happening to people around the world as I sit in my secure surrounding. Sad how some people exist and survive but don't thrive, and struggle for every moment of happiness they can come by, while others live their lives in peace and harmony, with a few 'first world' problems thrown in as glitches here and there.

Clothes: How do you decide what your characters are going to wear? Because I think the way people dress says alot about them. I dress comfortably. Not much for style. Simple. I'm fifty. I teach. All I care about is semi-professional dress that's casual and will get me through the day. Other characters, which of course are real people in our minds, lol, might think differently and everyone dresses a certain way for a reason. Dress for success, whatever that success is.

Color: Do you find it hard to think in color for you settings? I am usually so engrossed in personality that I don't put much effort into surroundings or what people look like or wear or their atmosphere. I deal with interactions but not where or even when things are happening. It's my biggest failure as an author, writing in place and time...hmmmm...

rebeccadraco.com

2 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I'm a big color fanatic. Years ago I was drinking Rustox, an extract of the poison ivy plant, to reduce my sensitivity to the results if I were to touch the plant in the woods. I went from one drop to seventeen in a glass of water. By the time I had it up to fifteen, I noticed the color was an ecru/tan, and ever after referred to the surrounding atmosphere at some times of the day as a Rustox day.

Color can do a lot for your writing. Would you believe that at age 20 my ambition was to invent metaphoric and simile words for lipstick and other makeup colors/shades.


Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I'm a big color fanatic. Years ago I was drinking Rustox, an extract of the poison ivy plant, to reduce my sensitivity to the results if I were to touch the plant in the woods. I went from one drop to seventeen in a glass of water. By the time I had it up to fifteen, I noticed the color was an ecru/tan, and ever after referred to the surrounding atmosphere at some times of the day as a Rustox day.

Color can do a lot for your writing. Would you believe that at age 20 my ambition was to invent metaphoric and simile words for lipstick and other makeup colors/shades.