Monday, June 1, 2015

KEITH McCOY VISITS THE WRITERS VINEYARD


I’ve been on a writing hiatus for a few months while moving and setting up in a new home. I’ll return in July, but asked Champagne's Author of the Year Keith McCoy to share his writing process. It has certainly worked well for him. His novel, The Travelers, was a quarter-finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and received a glowing review from PUBLISHERS WEEKLY. Keith is a world-class collector of furniture and memorabilia from the 1930s luxury liner QUEEN MARY which you can view on his webpage - http://keithwaynemccoy.com/ with excerpts and buy info on his books. ‘Til July, Rita Bay.
 
McCoyW_Ship300x300Hi to everyone at The Writer’s Vineyard!  I have been invited by my good friend and fellow author, Rita Bay, to discuss my approach to writing.  While there are most certainly those authors contracted with Champagne Book Group who have been writing since before I was even born, I think every author has a tried-and-true approach to creating their fiction.  When I was a youngster, my mother passed my bedroom door and asked what I was in such deep thought about while staring out the window.  When I explained that I was devising a plot, she asked why I hadn’t written a single word.  She, like most who are not artistically-inclined, do not understand that a writer doesn’t simply sit before a blank computer screen and begin cranking out stories.


As a matter of fact, I rock in a chair like an old man and pause only to write down a sentence or plot point.  I write everything, and I do mean everything, out on yellow-legal-size pads then revise and revise until each page looks like psychotic doodling.  Only when I am satisfied that the piece is ready, do I type the whole thing on Word.  Then there are still revisions to be made! 


And as a further strange habit, I keep pads beside my bed in the event a lyrical sentence or snatch of dialog comes to me in the night.  I remember quite clearly while writing “The Travelers” that I flipped the lamp on, grabbed the pad and pen, and wrote a sentence that occurred to me at 2 in the morning.  That sentence was:  “And the silence after such a recollection was like a piano key sounding in a deserted room.”  I promise you that had I turned over and went back to sleep, that sentence would not have been remembered in the morning.  I write thoughts, dialog, and plot twists throughout the day on adding machine paper, the backs of junk envelopes, grocery bags, and even deposit tickets.
           
Thank you, Rita, for inviting me and I give best wishes to all of you in whatever eccentric habit you may have in creating fiction.  Happy Writing!
 
Keith Wayne McCoy

2 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I did the same when starting out, yellow pad, writing in the dark, editing to the extreme. Think I'll go back to that...

Liz Fountain said...

Nothing like writing by hand to get the imagination flowing. PS. I really enjoyed "The Travelers"!