Saturday, May 30, 2015

What's A Little Phobia Among Friends?


I have to admit, I'm addicted to the show, The Walking Dead. If I was actually in the zombie apocalypse I'm sure I would be diagnosed with Phagophobia. The fear of being eaten. There are many common phobias such as, agoraphobia - the fear of spiders, claustrophobia - the fear of tight places, acrophobia - the fear of heights, and mysophobia, or as most people refer to it, germaphobia. A few less common phobias are nephophobia - the fear of clouds and emetophobia - the fear of vomiting, I might have suffered with this phobia on a weekend or two. 

I use a little humor in all my mystery and ghost stories, but my current work in progress is my first  comedy mystery and one of my characters suffers from Gossaphobia which is the fear of cotton balls. In my research, I couldn't find this fear listed so I constructed the name for her phobia from the root word gossypium the name for a cotton plant, because frankly cottonballphobia sounds crazy.

The important point as a writer, give your characters depth. Their back story is important because it made them who the are today, but we can't dwell on back story. So, who are they today? What makes them unique? Makes them human? Even if they aren't human, characters posses human qualities to help us identify with them. Do your characters have likes, dislikes, a favorite childhood memory? Does your character worry about a few extra pounds, dye his or her hair, or is she addicted to licorice like my detective, Leslie Bolt in Bolt Action?

Go to the mall, a baseball game, the bus station or a restaurant and watch people. A friend of mine bought me a t-shirt that reads, careful what you say and do you might end up in my novel. You'll get all the crazy quirks that can develop your characters from being a carbon copy of every other character or transform them into a living, breathing person your audience can believe, regardless if they like or dislike the person you created.


I'm author Victoria Roder and I write something for everyone. If you like murder mystery check out Bolt Action. Ghost Stories? You'll love Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary. Have children or grandchildren? My picture books include, What If A Zebra Had Triangles and An Important Job to Do: A Noah's Are Tale. Are the kids reading chapter books? Sled Dog Tales and The Curse of King Ramesses II are adventure filled and fun. I also created a puzzle book for teens and adults and have a coloring book coming soon. Please check out my website Thanks, Victoria Roder

8 comments:

tealady said...

Funny funny post. I love the cottonball fear. Mine is mice,I have to look that one up. I know I'm 100 times bigger than a mouse but I see one and I become some super power hero who can jump higher than humanly possible.

Victoria Roder said...

I agree, I once locked myself in the bathroom because of a mouse. Couldn't stand being cooped up any longer in the small room with nothing to do, so I crept out, found a big box, tiptoed to the varmint and dropped the make-shift cage over the docile little thing until my husband arrived home to same me from the viscous creature.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

It's their sudden, unpredictable movement. Snakes, too.

Victoria Roder said...

My 6'2, 250# husband freaks over snakes! It's kind of funny.

James Jones said...

I freak out over gorillas even if they're locked in a cage.

Julie Lence said...

Hi Vicki: I have a fear of heights, flying and snakes. Even if they're in a cage, I stay as far away from them as possible. One time, in a store the owner had 2 small ones in the display case near the door. I saw them and exited out the other door, lol.

Victoria Roder said...

Gorillas is a new one, James. After seeing the 2nd planet of the apes I don't find monkeys as cute and I use to think they'd be a cool pet, but they are still a wild animal. Wow, Juls it's interesting that they even bother you if in a cage.

Mark said...

I suffer from Ribophobia, the fear of starvation from having to eat on an author's income. There is no known cure for the condition.