Saturday, April 4, 2015

Embarrassing Moments At Work




On Monday I'm beginning a new job which is very different than anything I've done
in the past. I'm a little nervous and I started thinking about a few embarrassing moments I experienced as a waitress in high school.

As a waitress, I worked large banquets in an upscale hotel. Sometimes, the tables were so close together we had to squeeze between the guests in an attempt to serve them. At one wedding, the other servers and I had no option but to ignore the waitress golden rule and pass plates over people.
Struggling to reach a guest, I skimmed a hot plate across a bald man's head. Everyone laughed when he said, “Ouch, there's another reason I wish I had hair.”

At a military banquet, I had the honor of serving the head table which is positioned on a stage in front of the rest of the guests. Gracefully balanced above my shoulder, I carried the large oval tray to the
stand waiting on the marble floor in front of the stage. As customary, the higher ranking officers are served first. The rest of the military personnel waited quietly as I began to place the tray on the stand. The tray caught the edge of the stand and tipped slightly. As I struggled to free the tray, one by one, with a deafening noise, the dinners crashed to the floor. At least members of the armed forces
don't clap when you drop something.

Shortly after starting at a family diner I returned to the window with my ticket for the cook. When it was ready. “Max” called my number and yelled, “Order up!” I picked up the fried chicken dinners and “Max” asked me if I knew who I was serving. I didn't. He explained, one of the men at the table was the district manager of all the Wisconsin restaurants. Plates already in my hand I said, “No
way!” Spinning around to peek at him, the chicken sailed through the air and unto the floor. He was definitely watching me.

I've got a ton more embarrassing restaurant stories. Now that I think about it, maybe I wasn't such a good waitress. Help me feel better, anybody have any embarrassing or funny work stories.



I'm author Victoria Roder and I write something for everyone. If you like murder mystery check out Bolt Action. Ghost Stories? You'll love Haunting ofIngersull Penitentiary. Have children or grandchildren? My picture books are What If A Zebra Had Triangles and An Important Job to Do: A Noah's Are Tale. Kids reading chapter books? Sled Dog Tales and The Curse of King Ramesses II are fun. I also created a puzzle book for teens and adults and have a coloring book coming soon. Please check out my website Thanks, Victoria Roder

8 comments:

Debra Doggett said...

Funny stories. Good luck with the new job.

Debra Doggett said...

Funny stories. Good luck with the new job.

Victoria Roder said...

Thanks Debra, I'm looking forward to the new adventure.

Michele said...

Embarrassing moments, that's for sure! I never had the "pleasure" of being a waitress. But when I was doing my student teaching I had a couple of embarrassing moments. I was young, just 20, and looked even younger. I did my student teaching at a junior high school and I was still mistaken for a student more than once! The assistant principal even got after me one time for being someplace I shouldn't have been if I had been a student. He later found me and apologized.

Victoria Roder said...

That is funny, Michele. Guess they should have given you a hall pass.

R. Michael Phillips said...

As always, a delight to read. I hope you're working on a new novel, too, I'm looking forward to reading more of your work. Mike

Mark said...

Well...you certainly chose the right job when you picked writing over waitressin'. It's easier to edit a chapter than it is to edit a spilled tray of food off the floor.

January Bain said...

Those are funny stories! I have one about forgetting to put my skirt on over my lace slip and not noticing till someone called attention to it! Good luck with your new job! Best, January