Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Grasshopper


Illustration by Milo Winter
Courtesy of Wikimedia  
In the fable of the ant and the grasshopper, the ant does all the work while the grasshopper plays his fiddle. When winter comes, poor old grasshopper, having not prepared, is left out shivering in the cold while ant sits inside his warm house. As with most fables, this one is designed to teach us a lesson: work hard and be prepared.
                I am, by nature, a grasshopper. Like all grasshoppers, my motto is don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow. This blog is case in point. I could write six or seven posts, schedule them all and be done for the year. But, no, I wait until the last minute, type furiously, and hope for the best.  With this terrible work ethic, it's a wonder I get anything done at all.
                There is, however, something to be said for grasshoppers. As a writer, it's good to take a minute (or two or three) to stare out the window. Currently, the snow is piled so high on my front lawn that it nearly touches the windowsill outside my office; the sky is so impossibly blue I'd think it was photo shopped if I didn't know better. A shadow of tree branches stains the snow and dances with a wind gust. I move from the scene in the window to the one playing in my mind, the high plains of Colorado are part of my work in progress—and there's a sky that stretches endlessly, littered with stars, a ranch house dotting the landscape. Just beyond, a horse snorts and whinnies.   I begin to write.
                I am not efficient and my methods would drive most ants crazy. That's okay. They can keep to their busy work. You'll find me here tuning my fiddle and playing the day away.



'Til next time
Ute


4 comments:

Jude Johnson said...

Lovely imagery, Ute. Keep fiddling and stay warm!
~Jude

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Ditto.

Whatever keeps the muse happy and occupied.

Liz Fountain said...

I was going to write my comment here, then I looked out the window... :) Lovely!

Ute Carbone said...

Thanks Jude, Julie and Jude! I do love looking out the window. :)