Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Little Frozen Cat

           On a sunny, but bitterly cold day about a year ago, my husband was plowing the driveway and spotted what he thought was a small chunk of ice in the road. When the chunk moved, my husband investigated. What he thought was ice, was a tiny, calico cat. She was shaking, rasping for breath and at less than 2 pounds, felt like a small sack of bones.
      Our veterinarian diagnosed the cat with an extremely low body temperature, respiratory infection, dehydration and malnutrition. The vet wasn’t' sure it was possible, but if the little feline lived through the week with medication and special food, she might survive. We isolated her from our other pets and nursed her back to health. We believe Cali is a feral cat, but now a year later, she will approach us for treats, but still won't let us pet her. We thrilled to see Cali play with our other cats. It's all good, Cali is alive, warm, well feed, and spunky. 

 
      Pets enhance our lives and the lives of fictional characters. My original writing goal was to memorialize my pets in my writing. We rescued our cat Baby from a burn pile and she made it into the pages of my action thriller, Bolt Action.  Zeus was sprung from the Humane Society and is mentioned in my middle grade read, The Curse of King Ramesses II. Tucker my Shepherd appeared as a guide dog in Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary. My dogs Rocky, Rigs and Molly appear as sled dogs in Sled Dog Tales, and I've recently finished a middle grade novel, AJ and His Time-Traveling Lizard staring Slippery, my blue-tongued skink.
      Do you have a rescue pet? I'd love to hear what animal you rescued and what you named your fur-baby. If you used a pet in one of your novels, please tell us the pet and the name of your novel. Thanks, Victoria Roder 

11 comments:

Mark said...

Yours is a great post, Vicki (and a great cat, as well). The cat from my novel DAYS OF SMOKE, Blutwurst Katze, was directly based on my cat Pancho Barnes. Like you, I find the inclusion of animals in writing a wonderful addition. If I thought I could get away with it, I'd write an all-animal book.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

We do, but she's from the Humane Soc. Inkie was only outside for a few days and in good condition.

Not so our lovely Kitty-kitty, who campaigned to live here, conned the dog and finally made her way inside our home and our hearts. We had her 20 years. the first eight years she wouldn't look at us directly, far sighted. After years indoors she could focus on us. She loved two golden rerievers, a grandfather and us. We still miss her.

Inkie is all black, nearsighted and very savvy.

Susan Bernhardt said...

Victoria, I'm glad your story had a happy ending. We had a sweet and personable dog, Forest. He was a rescue dog and lived on the streets of Denver with his mum :) and brothers and sisters. He was part Black Lab, German Shepherd, and Norwegian Elkhound and lived for 11 1/2 years.

Susan Bernhardt

Suzanne de Montigny said...

My sister and I once rescued a baby rabbit. It was wild, but died a few days later because it was diseased. We figure that's why the mother rejected it. In the meantime, we have a dog named Buddy, but he wasn't rescued.

Victoria Roder said...

Thanks for sharing your animal stories with me! It's not always a happy ending, but as animal lovers we try our best!

D'Ann said...

I have a similar story of Kitty Baby. The day before Thanksgiving, I went to town and found a tiny baby kitten in the road. Not frozen, but abandoned and cold. I bottle fed her and now she's a little pistol!
Bless your husband for rescuing that sweet girl.

Victoria Roder said...

Funny how their personalities come out after they are healthy. I love to see Cali and Zeus chase each other around. Cali even snuggles with our oldest dog, Rocky. Maybe she can sense Rocky was also a rescue, left for death after he was hit by a car.

Harry Margulies said...

What a heartwarming story - you're a special person. I'm also a pet lover. I've been lucky to have had some great pets through the years, all of whom have nosed their way into my writing. My two rescue kitties, Riley and Jack are FBI agents in my novel, The Knowledge Holder. If you're interested, you can enter a photo of your furry friends in the Muse of the Month contest I hold on my website, hmargulies.com. Winning pets get their picture posted on the site and a paperback copy of one of my books - to chew on, I guess.

Victoria Roder said...

What a great idea, Harry! Can't wait to check your website out.

Michele said...

We've had a couple of strays show up at our house. They were wonderful pets and we still grieve them long after they died--of old age. A cat, Kitty, at 17, and a dog, White Dog, at about 12.
Katana, a white cat, is the subject of a story in an upcoming free book of cat stories and excerpts from 15 historical romance authors.

Liz Fountain said...

All my critters are rescues - but of course, it's we humans they truly rescue. :) My rescue dog Charlie stars as the dog who saves humanity in An Alien's Guide to World Domination.