Saturday, February 7, 2015

Is 50 Shades of Gray Role-Playing or Abuse?



Unless you've been living in a cave, I'm sure you've heard of the book 50 Shades of Grey. The movie by the same name releases on Valentine's Day. The plot of this story has been surrounded in controversy. Controversy gets people talking, makes people curious and then, consumers spend money to find out what the debate is about. If I was a producer I think I'd start the arguments myself.

The trailer for the 50 Shades of Grey movie, calls the premise a 'fairy tale', but Morality in Media says the trailer is attempting to “romanticize and normalize sexual violence.” Their statement goes on to say that the characters relationship shows, abuse of power, female inequality, coercion and sexual violence and glamorizes and legitimizes violence against woman.”

So I ask you again, is 50 Shades of Grey Role-playing or Abuse? Please share your opinion, but be respectful to each other even if you don't agree.

I'm author Victoria Roder and I write something for everyone, murder mystery Bolt Action and Ghost Story Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary, there is a little romance in my novels, but sorry no sadomasochism. My picture books are What If A Zebra Had Triangles and An Important Job to Do: A Noah's Are Tale, chapter books, The Curse of King Ramesses II and Sled Dog Tales and a puzzle book for teens and adults. Please check out my website Thanks, Victoria Roder

 

5 comments:

Big Mike said...

I lean toward abuse, but I am a dinosaur.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Victoria Roder said...

Dr. Phil had a very interesting show on the topic when the first book came out and he stressed, the characters had a harmful and unhealthy relationship.

tealady said...

i WOULD ALSO HAVE TO LEAN TOWARDS ABUSE, I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THAT HURTING SOME ONE FOR PLEASURE COULD BE HEALTHY,PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Agree. I did not no will I read or watch it based on the trailer.

Love should include charishing and mutual interests and caring, not banging peple around for kicks. As Dr. Phil might say, "What were they thinking!"

Veronica Helen Hart said...

I agree with all of the above. I've yet to talk to anyone who read the entire book. Most people who bought it, claim they started it then put it down. I'd like to know the psychological make up of any person who claims to "love" the book. Can't be very healthy.