Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fireside Thoughts


Where do you do most of your writing?

Over the years, I've written scenes, chapters, even whole drafts at all of these places:
  • A favorite coffee shop
  • Outside under a tree
  • A friend's garage
  • A busy dive bar, near the dart boards
  • In bed, laptop propped on knees
  • My car, scratching on any paper I can find in the faint dome light
  • The breakfast table
  • My office
  • Someone else's office
  • The rocking chair next to my fireplace

That's where I am now - the rocking chair pulled close to the fire, the better to chase away the chill of a damp, gray late January day. And I started wondering - where does the real writing happen?

After all, those are only locations. Writing - creating stories in words - happens somewhere else. Somewhere between imagination and dreams, between fingers and brain, in the open spaces between our ideas, our knowledge, our fantasies, and our profound wish to communicate.

So perhaps we could worry less about having a place to write, and focus more on making room to create. I've a hunch that's what Virginia Woolf meant by "a room of one's own:" that sacred place where stories are born, with our help.



Elizabeth Fountain wrote key scenes in her first novel, An Alien's Guide to World Domination, in bed; and much of her second novel, You, Jane, in a dive bar. You can find her books and read more of her work at her blog, Point No Point.

3 comments:

Big Mike said...

In the cold months, I write in front of my fire at the farm. In warm months, I work on stories inside my man cave. Yet must of my scene development occurs in the fields working my land or on my boat while fishing.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I wrote an important scene in St. Lucia on vacation while Shaw scubadived.

Usually, write from my "woman cave", wherever that happens to be; but it must be quiet so I can hear the music in the mind waves.

Liz Fountain said...

Seems like you both have wonderful places to write, Big Mike and Julie. I love it when the words flow, no matter where I am!