Saturday, January 17, 2015

Calling All Authors: Can You Relate?

Calling All Authors: Can You Relate?

...What's your favorite subgenre and why(favorite to 'read' or 'write'? Go to my website and answer that for my next blog with your name attached if you'd like for me to put you on my blog.
…Time is fleeting, so use it wisely. Of course, I don’t know about you, but I’m not always sure how to use my time the most wisely. Do we write about life? Or do we get out of our chairs and live it? Do we work and make more money, or do we go out enjoy ourselves, and spend what we’ve made? Do we go for the big six publishers, or do we grow impatient and self-publish? Not that that plan is all bad.
…Enjoy the journey, since you might not reach the destination. I hear of tragedies every day that show just how short life is. We write stories or read them and see the ordeals our characters go through, and we draw from real life for those ideas. I’m a high school teacher, and this past summer one of the most popular students in school got into a car accident at 115 MPH and died, badly, after just graduating a month before. Life is so short, and it is even shorter when one goes out in this way. My daughter has leukemia, and she has been fighting it off and on for two years, and she just got a bone marrow transplant. We’re hoping for the best. A woman I know is 34, and she just go diagnosed with a heart disease and has two weeks to live without a transplant, which means she is feeling guilty because she knows she is sitting around waiting for someone else to die, so she can live. Wow. How would that make you feel? Our characters go through the same thought processes, and we have to show their fear and stress and happiness in the face of danger and uncertainty. Drawing on real life can help us do that.
…So here we are with a new year, and we must make choices. To do or not to do. Write more or less, live more or less, work out more or less…ugh, I’ve gotten lazy in that area lately. I’d lost 65 pounds, but I’m up 10 after surgery and sitting around and growing attached to my couch relaxation time. Gotta find a way to break out of that comfort zone again and get back to the gym more often. And eat less bad-for-me food.
…And age is always something to think about. Some of us are younger than others. Some of us think about retirement and the possibilities of writing more and working day jobs less. Woo hoo. J If you are earlier in your writing careers, take every opportunity to use your youth and health and the years ahead to strive for excellence in your craft and meet and greet and interact with other authors and agents and editors, and go to all the conferences you can. Networking is a wonderful thing. Just make sure to do it in a good way. No Snarkiness. It’s bad. Bad. Bad. Not sure if I can say how damaging Snarkiness can be. And not just to you, the snarkies, but to your victim. Bad. Bad. Bad.
…Happy New Year! Best wishes. Good publishing. Good reading. And good living it up.
rebeccadraco.com

0 comments: