Saturday, December 13, 2014

Toys From Christmas Past

Christmas brings out the kid in all of us.Close your eyes, think back what special toys did you tell Santa or your parents you wanted for Christmas? Please share what you wanted and let us know if  you receive the toy? Do you or have you purchased the latest and greatest craze for your own kids?

Check out the toys of Christmas past

1910s Teddy Bear, Erector Set and Lionel Trains
1920s Crayola Crayons, Tinker Toys and Raggedy Ann
1930s Monopoly and Viewmaster Slide Viewer
1940s Scrabble, the Slinky and Silly Puddy
1950s Yahtzee, Hula Hoop and Play-Doh
1952 Match Box Cars
1959 Barbie Dolls
1960 Mr. Potato Head (One million sold), and The Game of Life
1962 Operation
1964 GI Joe and Easy Bake Oven
1966 Barrel of Monkeys
1975 Pet Rock (five million sold in six months), Pong and Slime
1977 Holly Hobbie Dolls
1978 Anything Star Wars
1979 Atari
1980 Rubiks Cube
1982 Cabbage Patch Dolls and BMX Bikes
1983 My Little Pony
1984 Care Bears
1988 Anything Ghostbusters
1990 Anything Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
1993 Anything Power Rangers
1996 Ticklw Me Elmo and Buzz Lightyear
1997 Teletubbies and Beanie Babies
1999 Anything Pokemon
2001 Bob The Builder and anything Harry Potter
2002 Bratz Dolls
Rest of the 200os Anything electronic, Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation, Wii,
2011 Angry Birds
2014 My guess...anything from the movie Frozen

Please visit my website www.victoriaroder.com I write something for everyone, murder mystery Bolt Action and Ghost Story Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary, and for children, picture book What If A Zebra Had Triangles, chapter book Sled DogTales and a puzzle book, Directions For Life for teens and adults. Thanks, Victoria Roder

10 comments:

Victoria Roder said...

I remember one year, I was so thrilled to receive a Ernie (Sesame Street)puppet! Don't laugh, I grew up and became of director of our puppet troop at church.

Mark said...

The gift I remember best was a game called Time Bomb. It was plastic sphere with a fake fuse, and a timer and bell were concealed within. You wound the timer and passed the Bomb from kid to kid, the loser being the one holding it when the bell rang. I was playing the game with my brothers in the only way we ever played -- enthusiastically. I took the bomb from big bro and whipped it toward my little brother. Babro missed the catch and used his mouth as a backstop -- I broke one of his front teeth right in half. I still feel bad. I reckon my parents should have given us a puppet, too.

Veronica Helen Hart said...

Slinky! My brother and I got them and drove our parents nuts letting them go from the top of the stairs over and over and over. We were probably about ten years old. My favorite gift ever came the following year, a marionette of Alice of Alice in Wonderland. Maybe that's where my writing, directing and set design interests began. I created sets for her, "friends" for her to play with and happily got lost in the wonderful life I created for her.

Liz Fountain said...

Oh, how I longed for an easy bake oven! It's funny, my SO and I were just talking about how hard it is to remember what we received for Christmas last year - yet I clearly remember the year I was 8 and got a stuffed panda bear nearly as big as me. That. Was. Epic. :)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Being raised during the war, I lusted after a bride doll, but Santa couldn't afford it. Instead, when I was 9, My dad made a three-bedroom doll house with all the tiny furniture and plumbing fixtures to 1-inch scale.

My mother and grandmother made linens and created paintings to hang on the walls. The stairs had risers and thin plywood treads. The windows were real glass. It was quite amazing. My mother upholstered the furniture and made the clothes for the to-scale dolls.

I've always had a fascination with miniatures.

Our oldest daughter got the first Barbie and the house that took us a long cold night in a windy family room in Kankakee, Illinois to put together.

Before that there was Chatty Cathy and the Easy-bake oven that both our girls played with.

Victoria Roder said...

Mark, I remember the Time Bomb, but now I'm glad I never got one.

Victoria Roder said...

That is awesome, Veronica. Never know where experiences are going to lead you.
Right, Liz. I hardly remember yesterday, but the Christmas my adoptive mom made the only tattered doll I had from my original family, into an Indian Princess, I'll never forget.

Victoria Roder said...

Julie, I'd love to see that doll house it sounds amazing!

Michele said...

I always got a doll for Christmas because my mom loved dolls. I kept telling Santa I wanted a microscope and no dolls, but it never seemed to get through.
I now have a very nice microscope!

Nikki said...

Toys? Nope. All I ever wanted for Christmas was a horse. Not a pony, a horse. One of the toys I remember was a set of plastic cowboys, Indians, fence sections and horses. I still have one of the horses. My Nana thought I should get dolls; one year it had green hair. Mom would make clothes for the dolls.She liked playing with them.

The best toy I ever got was a drum. Next Youngest Sister got one, too. By Christmas night, Dad says, "Well, girls, what do you thing is INSIDE those drums?" That was the year we discovered Dad couldn't fix everything...