Saturday, November 1, 2014

November Changes


Yesterday many celebrated Halloween, an adaptation of an old Scottish pronunciation of All Hallows Eve. The day has been celebrated by some as being the last day of harvest and by others as the day souls could return to Earth and if necessary, wreak vengeance denied in life. Centuries past it also meant winter began the next day, today, the first of November. November actually means ninth month from the Latin word for nine, novem; that was until Augustus Caesar inserted two months into the Roman Calendar, one to memorialize Julius Caesar, and one to immortalized himself, making the ninth month actually the eleventh month. Despite the often-overcast days, late daybreak, and early twilight, November 1 is not the first day of winter, December 21 is. Tomorrow starts daylight savings, which means everyone loses sleep so we can change time and wake-up to light, sort-of, for a while. So, everything November was, it isn’t, but isn’t that just how life works?
Even though we had over an inch of snow yesterday, and it certainly looks like winter today, Michigan might well have more snow-free, warm days during the coming month. I hope so. As I enter the winter of my life, I’m all for sunny, warm days, and having a fine autumn day gives a special meaning to the month’s major holiday, Thanksgiving, at least here in the United States. Like Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving is rapidly transforming into a more commercial ‘purchasing’ holiday. Oh well; everything is always changing: holidays, time, names, the seasons, the world, us.

I think being writer is like being a philosopher in that contemplating change and bizarre things for a few minutes everyday, things others care little about, is almost obligatory. Knowing a little of this, more of that, and always envisioning more of both seems to be modus operandi for me. How could I write a believable current story background if I didn't notice how society is changing, and I couldn't write a historical if I failed to understand how the past differed. And how could I invent a new world if I cannot extrapolate where changes might lead?  How about you, do you fall into these strange contemplations?

2 comments:

Big Mike said...

I look forward to fall every year. Love to sit in the woods and absorb natures gift.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

November here in Central Florida, 50 miles Northeast of Disney, our fall is just the beginning of the dry season. It's not pretty, but it's seldom cold.

I have popped windshields in Atlanta, and frozen in my tracks in Cleveland. During my college years, I stood in slush up to my knees waiting for a bus in Philadelphia.

Here, I can dodge low-flying pelicans as I cross the Indian River in bright sunshine. Blessings on you guys up there in the North. Come on down!