Sunday, November 30, 2014

Five Reasons For Writers to Give Thanks

Because I will spend time with family and friends this weekend, I am drafting this post a bit early. And because (here in the U.S.) it is Thanksgiving, my thoughts turned to things we writers can be thankful for.

This list is in no particular order. If I missed something, add it in the comments.

Terrific new books, coming out every day. I'm not sure what the latest statistics are, but my guess is hundreds of books release daily, even if we don't count self/indie publishing. Most writers I know are, at heart, readers. We love good books.

Terrific old books, finding new life. Classics from our own childhoods. Classics from our parents' childhoods, and our grandparents'. Rediscovering old books springs a particular delight. And don't get us started on old book smell... ahhhhh. Old stories made into movies and television shows. Translating stories into other media also breathes new life into them. Without Frozen, would we remember the Snow Queen?

Other writers. This year during NaNoWriMo, I've met a handful of other writers I'd be pleased to count as new friends. These young women - all in their twenties - are earnest, talented, funny, generous, and determined. Here at TWV, colleagues support each other with astonishing frequency. Guest blogs, shared promo, and advice about dealing with the writing life - all are offered freely.

Readers. We would be nowhere without them. Enough said.

Finally... we are thankful for a universe full of stories waiting to be told. Whether you write romance or science fiction, historicals or mysteries, thrillers or erotica, or paranormal romantic sci-fi dystopian comedy, there is never a shortage of stories. All we writers must do is translate them to the page. Hard work at times, yes. But always a privilege.

A universe full of stories at the end of the rainbow?


Elizabeth Fountain is the author of You, Jane and An Alien's Guide to World Domination, among other long and short fiction that captures the unintentional humor of everyday life. You can find her books and blog at http://lizfountain.wordpress.com



4 comments:

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

I agree with all you have listed and add family and friends who always give support and encouragement.

Big Mike said...

After enduring cancer treatments, I give thanks each day I rise without pain where I can mentor my granddaughter.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I second your e-motion. Books are great for the writers, readers and the other media workers who use them as springboards to new tales.

Stories are everywhere. We just have to open our eyes and roll up our sleeves.

Liz Fountain said...

And I should add being grateful for those who comment here on TWV - thank you for the thoughtful responses! And Big Mike - we are also glad you are here to mentor us. :)