Thursday, November 13, 2014

Every Once in a While I Need to Take a Break


 
Can the average writer’s brain suffer from wordplay overload? Apparently mine can. It has probably been a month or so since I wrote anything completely new.

First, I have been working with my harried editor on a new novel coming out in March 2015. That probably stretched tired my brain for at least the last thirty days while we went back and forth trying to make sense out of the beast and attempting to translate my weird sense of humor.

Then two weeks ago I ran a session at an out-of-town writer’s retreat. It was fun, but that meant some pre-preparation, and the actual retreat took up three days out of my life. Last long weekend was Comic Con. Had a booth there, sold a few books, and talked to an awful lot of people.

This past weekend I did something I probably haven’t done in a very long time. I did absolutely nothing that had anything to do with writing. I watched some TV, read some magazines, and talked with my family. Told them I was taking a couple of days off.

Okay, now I have to get back at working on the sequel to The Queen’s Pawn. This mean’s re-reading several of the chapters to get back into the flow and tone of the story. I had to look over my notes to figure out where I was originally planning to go with this thing. It took a while, but then the words started to flow again and I was refreshed and away to the metaphorical races.

I think all writers need to take a break every once in a while. Not just the step away from the computer every hour and rest your eyes and get a fresh cup of coffee, break, but something more substantial. Besides, whenever I look out the window, or pick up a magazine, I usually get more story ideas.

Now back to work.

R.J.Hore
www.ronaldhore.com
www.facebook.com/RonaldJHore

The Novels:
The Dark Lady Trilogy
The Queen’s Pawn

The Novellas:
Knight’s Bridge
The Housetrap Chronicles (six…so far)

 

3 comments:

Liz Fountain said...

Our brains need a chance to build new neural pathways. Or at least that's how I look at it. When I come back to a WIP after a break, first is the "what was I thinking?" phase, but shortly thereafter, all kinds of things I thought were problems, I know how to solve. Amazing!

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

A break is helpful to avoid getting stale and recycling our stories.

Blogging a nice break, but it's still writing. So, I'm reading more than ever. One thing that bothers me about reading, once you read the most engaging book, everything else pales. Discipline eludes me, and I barrel on and finish the "gem" book, knowing I’m going to have a tough time finding another as good -- for a while.

Big Mike said...

It is difficult when writing fiction to not sound like a parrot. Wait till you get up to 20 stories and novels, now that's rough.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)