Monday, October 20, 2014

TAKE THE NaNoWriMo CHALLENGE


My October post is brief because I’m gearing up for NaNoWriMo—National Novel Writing Month. Every year in November hundreds of thousands of writers and would-be writers unite to write (over 645,000 in 2013). Since 1999, the goal is 50,000 words in 30 days. It’s difficult, but doable. Writers can start writing at midnight on November 1st and have until November 30th to finish.

I can’t recommend NaNo enough as a writing tool to get started and keep going. There’s a built-in support system of other writers and friends writers sign up with or found online. For those near one of the participating communities, there may be kick-off parties and write-ins around the area. Cost? Nothing unless the writer makes a tax-deductible donation to NaNo. (I always donate because you get a cute little crown on your page and I basically don’t expect something for nothing.)

Writers have their own pages with bios, buddies, blurb, and a word count tracking.  I also track my own count in an Excel spreadsheet where I can input my word count and see how many words I have left for the day and how far ahead or behind I am total. Download the 2014 version from my webpage HERE under Author Freebies.

I’ve been writing with NaNo since 2009, though under Rita Bay for only two years. Although I’ve only met the 50,000 word goal twice, I’ve left with a published book every year. Here’s my list and my 2013 winner badge:

His Desire (NaNoWriMo, 2009) Regency Historical, Siren BookStrand - 2012;
Into the Lyon's Den (NaNoWriMo, 2010) Shapeshifter Rom - Champagne Books - 2012;
Finding Eve (NaNoWriMo, 2011) Sequel to Lyons' Den  - Champagne - 2013;
Search & Rescue (NaNoWriMo, 2012)  Cont Military Rom, Secret Cravings – 2013; and
Duchess in Waiting (NaNoWriMo, 2013) Regency Historical, Siren Publishing, 2014.
This year I’m planning to write two historical novellas, so my goal is about 60,000
(Last year, I wrote 52,700 words.)

If you would like to try NaNo this year, check out the link HERE. http://nanowrimo.org/about If you join, I’d love some more buddies at Rita Bay.
 
Next Month, Maintaining a Positive Relationship with Publishers/Editors

WEBPAGE & BLOG / FACEBOOK / TWITTER/PINTEREST/AMAZON

















4 comments:

Big Mike said...

Actually wrote part II of a sequel (55000 words) in five weeks. My Muse was functioning in hyper mode. Story just flowed off the keyboard. Quite an experience.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Rita Bay said...

It really is an amazing experience. I've only hit the goal twice, but I was able to finish a book that was later published each time.

Liz Fountain said...

NaNo gave me my second published book and, more importantly, the confidence in my ability to produce a novel-length work. Writing is so solitary, and the NaNo community (online and if you're lucky, in your town) makes an incredible support system.

I have no idea what I'm going to work on this year. But then, that's part of the fun.

Liz

January Bain said...

Rita, good blog and I can see it has really worked well for you. Congratulations! Hugs, January