Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Dog Days of August


This month I’ve been racking my brain for a topic to write about. It’s been such a lovely summer where we live, my husband Don and I that I can’t seem to get up the steam for a blog. Sure, I’ve been totally engrossed in researching and writing a new book with great glee, but stopping to write about writing is different.  Then I twigged to a comment that an editor sent me about “trope” and it got me to musing. Not only does a writer have to write well, carefully creating characters and storylines that interest themselves and others, but they also need to be aware of what’s currently in the market place. In other words, the right story at the right time is one of the most important tenants of getting published. Write a story that too many others have just gotten in the market place and you’re back to square one. And when you see a writer do well with a story though maybe not the best written but got out there because it was the first to make it to its target market and you will know what I mean.

The best experience, of course, would be having written a great book that is very timely. Of course, that is every writer’s hope. I want to wish that experience for all my writing friends: The right book at the right time written in a way that makes you proud to be able to offer it. J


Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Best,

January Bain

 

5 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Good advice. Timing is everthing. Okay, almost everything.

Big Mike said...

Man weathers been miserable here. Been raining four days a week and blistering temps when it's not raining. Just starting to get fallish this week.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)


January Bain said...

Our weather improved yesterday with the rain finally ending. Thank goodness for central air. I don't do heat well! Thanks for commenting Julie and Mike. You guys are the best!

Rita Bay said...

Good lord, January, I haven't even found my genre yet. Otherwise, very apropos post.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

You have central air...there?