Sunday, July 6, 2014

Writing Life, the Nitty-Gritty

Forgetting to check my calendar for the Vineyard schedule, I also forget to put something together. As luck would have it, our mentor reminded us that we must write about the nitty-gritty of the writing life.

So I’m in the middle of writing Safari Stew, the third in the Blenders book series, when I receive the final edits for Swimming Corpse, which is due out for release in August.
I’m scheduled to present twenty pages of Safari Stew to my writers’ critique group in less than a week and only have five pages ready.

And in two weeks, I’m to do a reading at a cultural arts center and plan to read from one of the two books to be released in August and I’m torn between the two – I love both books and want them to be well received. Maybe I’ll have to see if I can schedule another reading/book signing for August when the books are available.

Must focus on what’s important. While I normally consider writing as a full time job, I decide I’m allowed to take a break to watch Wimbledon tennis. I record the matches and reward myself in the afternoons once I’ve completed the morning’s writing goals. Today is the last day of the match, Men’s Finals, also recorded, so when I saw the notice about my Vineyard post being due, I fudged a bit and watched the first half of the match, stopping with Federer behind two sets to one. I put it on hold so I can write about writing.

Yes, I completed the edits on Swimming Corpse in a timely manner and it is now complete and ready to face the world on August 4th. Whew and yea!

I also completed the twenty pages for the critique group and have their notes on my desk waiting to be incorporated into the manuscript. I read everyone’s notes, listen to their critiques carefully and then choose the comments that are 1) repeated more than two or three times and 2) that make sense, such as a point I missed or a misplaced piece of dialog.

And as for the reading, I’m still of two minds. I wonder if there is time, they’d let me read a bit from both. The two books are so very different, one is a Blenders’ story and the other, The Reluctant Daughters, an historical drama.

I’m thinking, even as I also ponder the topic for my next historical drama. Then there is the sci-fi that’s coming out in February. It won’t be long before I’ll have to work on the edits for that one...

This is the writing life or How the Grapes Grow in the Writers Vineyard.

And how does your vineyard grow?


1 comments:

Big Mike said...

Of course, tens times as busy as you, can't let you have all the fun (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)