Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Books Can Change Lives


Whether writing or reading a book, it can change your life—just ask the majority of humanity. And so there comes in a time when the need to write something substantial may override the need for speed, if, like me, you’ve been writing with so much passion you haven’t taken a breather. That time has come for me.

As I sit here on July 5th 2014, and I see the most leviathan view of things I’m ever had the pleasure to be humbled by. A book that encompasses it all for me: A wide playing field: the Klondike. An answer for the big questions that have engrossed me for years: reincarnation, humanity and purpose. And characters that speak through my heart. 

And so RUSH (thanks Julie!) is born: A wide ranging novel that will cover the most turbulent years of the gold rush as well as the world events that made it possible seen through the eyes of the combatants.

Which got me to thinking of which books I’ve read that have changed my life? Definitely Gone With The Wind had a huge effect on me growing up and I was introduced to Scarlett and Rhett and their wide flung love story. And who can forget 1984 or Of Mice and Men and a book titled Flowers for Algernon, a book that I ended up reading in its entirety to a grade ten English class of students that sat mesmerized while I read it.

 My question of the day is what book(s) influenced you in a major way?

 

7 comments:

Big Mike said...

Oh, yeah, loved both the short story CHARLIE (aka Flowers for Algernon) and the movie. Another for me was BLADE RUNNER. Course I loved all of Dicks' stories.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

January Bain said...

Blade Runner really spoke to me too, Mike. Amazing story. Thanks for commenting and have a great day! Best, January

Liz Fountain said...

So many... one book that taught me I wasn't the only weird one in the world was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And the book that showed me I could write the kind of books I love to read was The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde.

The one I go back to about every 2-3 years is A Confederacy of Dunces by John Henry Toole.

Thanks for the chance to think about beloved books!

Liz

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

As we Americans worry more about marijuana than the Middle East, I am once again reminded of the book 1984, and also thankful I read ATLAS SHRUGGED

PS: I know RUSH will be great!

olgagodim said...

Great post, January! For me, such a book was Magic Pawn by Mercedes Lackey. It was the first book I read in the fantasy genre, and I fell in love with both the book and the genre. This novel opened fantasy for me, both as a reader and as a writer. I'm not sure if I would've started writing at all if this book didn't cross my path.

Big Mike said...

Yeah, JP. Did Ayn Rand have a predictive eye for the future or what.

BM

January Bain said...

Thanks everyone for commenting!

You've given me a few other titles I now want to read!

Best,
January