Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Are There Any Original Writing Ideas Left?


Are There Any Original Writing Ideas Left?

 

That is the question that has been plaguing me for some time now. I’ve been of a mind that one needs to have an original idea to be really noticed in the publishing world which causes me to rack my brain constantly for new ideas, but in reality it has all been said and done before according to the slew of blogs written by published authors I have been perusing this past year. What is up for grabs is having an original take or building on what has come before. Some blog entries even go so far as to suggest actually using a bestselling book’s plot as the basis for your book, just change the setting and characters around.

 

But what has affected me the most is how often I am well into a book-in-progress and discover how similar it is to another one. I seem to have a knack for getting a hold of a book to read and having the dismal effect of discovering they got the idea to market first! But according to many others this is not such a bad thing which gives me hope because many say you will write it different with a different voice that any other author just as each snowflake is unique, so will your work be unique. This is important to me, because too often I have pushed aside an idea at the ten or twenty or even thirty thousand word count mark when I discover something similar is already on the market, and with the hordes of writers out there and growing exponentially every day, the changes of it being a different book entirely from anyone else’s is just about near impossible.

 

Are you plagued by such things too? I would love to hear your take on this.

Thanks,

January Bain

 

 

5 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I used to obsess about others beating me to it. Now I consider what sells a book to me: characters that live on the page, and after: the kind we accidentally find ourselves praying for, extended family members.

If you love your characters, the readers of your genre will love them, too.

January Bain said...

So true, Julie, wise words as always to enlighten the way.

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

Sometimes I am, but I think we all write the type of book we like to read. I've heard there are only a finite number of plots (7?)-- but I think whatever number of plots the author's take on any plot-- the characters, twists, etc.-- lead to infinite possibilities.

Big Mike said...

I don't worry about it. I evolve a premise for the story (which may have been used before) then allow my muse to take the scenes and characters and my voice in a direction that entertains and envelopes the reader. That's the critical element, not if it's never been done before (because it has) but when the reader turns the last page do they exclaim, "Damn, that was good!"

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...


Well said, Mike.