Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Slog

So here I am, having had a reasonably considerable amount of wine, and now sitting down with the wife to watch The Hobbit on TV.

So I'm obviously not writing tonight.  Oh, I am writing in so far as I'm working on my sequel to "Tracks".  Just not in a rush, and part of that is my dealing with a transitional chapter.  Transitional chapters are a bothering sort of thing.  You need them to get folks from one place to another, and to drop seemingly inconsequential tidbits that will later add depth and foundation to the plot.  I'm doing that at the moment, and as things go, it's not the most exciting stuff.  I'm more of an action sort of guy, but you can't have that sort of thing all the time. 

The trick with these sort of chapters is to focus on the immediate scene and not worry so much about what comes next if you can.  Add one thing to another, and watch the layers build up.  Slow work, and not the most productive, but to keep moving along it's all about the character's "now" and how to guide them toward the objectives you wished to set down on the plot's long road.  Sooner or later my interest kicks in, and then we're off and running.

Kerry
kmtolan.com

2 comments:

Big Mike said...

You are authorized by the TWV staff to chill out at least two weeks before hitting the keyboard again on your sequel.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

KMTolan said...

You know I've been thinking of taking a wee break.