Thursday, June 12, 2014

Change Is Good



by Annabel Aidan


I write this with mixed feelings, since over the past few years, The Writers Vineyard has become such a stable part of my life.  This is my last post here. As of the end of June, Champagne and I are parting ways.  No big drama, just moving in different directions.

I've learned such a great deal about my writing and myself in the interim.  My commitment to my writing is stronger than ever -- I've got two series running under another of my names, and four releases between April and August this year.  My intolerance for those who like the idea of having written more than the actual writing has also grown.  Those individuals, who make excuses for not writing,  are creative vampires, draining the energy from those around them, and I don't want them in my life.  That means cutting back on teaching, at least for the moment, and focusing more on my own work, and being more ruthless about the time and energy and quiet I need around my own work.  I meet my deadlines and my commitments, but I am not living my life for someone else's convenience.  My work comes first. 

I want everything I write to challenge me in new ways.  That means moving between genres, trying things out of my comfort zone.  I don't want to keep doing the same thing over and over again because it's easy.  Nothing is more boring than to read a writer who does the same thing over and over again, without showing growth.  I don't want easy.  I want to keep growing and learning and changing.  I want every book, every story, better than the last.  I want to go deeper into character and motivation, strengthen structure, and always keep learning.  I want to learn from those who know more than I do (and there will always be those, thank goodness), challenge myself at every opportunity, and offer a helping hand to those starting out who are serious about their work.

I want to grow into the kind of writer that I like to read best -- someone who has the courage of her convictions and the talent to communicate them.

I thank you for my time with you, and look forward to continuing to read your work and support you in the future.

--Annabel Aidan publishes under a half a dozen names in fiction and non-fiction, and is an internationally-produced playwright and screenwriter.  You can find her at www.devonellingtonwork.com/annabelaidan.html and, as Devon Ellington, her blog on the writing life is Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com.

3 comments:

Liz Fountain said...

Congratulations and all the best, Annabel. Your posts here never fail to inspire some new idea, connection, or perspective for me. Of all the things you mention here, I think the one that's most exciting is 'to grow into the kind of author you like to read.' That's the bit I'll carry with me.

Keep on, and write well!

Liz

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I agree. You are an inspiration, a true professional.

Growing in the writing can be costly when the brand is lost. Using other names is one solution, one I haven't tried yet.

I wish you all the best for your quieted, emerging writing life. Please promote yourself so we can follow you.

KMTolan said...

This isn't a Champagne Books blog. You're welcome to stay.