Saturday, June 28, 2014

Average Cost of a Wedding

I have attended weddings for the last two weekends, and I became a little curious about the costs. Keep in mind I was married twenty-two years ago. The average wedding today costs $28,858, which is more than the cost of our first home. $28,858 is the average, but the majority of couples keep it below $10,000.




Geographic location makes a difference on the amount couples spend.


New York: $86,916
Chicago: $48,449
Miami: $37,210
Alaska: $15,504


On an average the highest costs are for:


Reception Hall
Engagement Ring
Reception Band
Photographer
Florist


Average cost to be a bridesmaid is $1,695


Ten years ago, the trend “Trashing the Dress” started in Vegas. With dresses averaging $1,211 it is hard to believe brides are comfortable trashing their dress in water, mud puddles, with paint or the latest trend setting them on fire for a photo shoot. Maybe I'm old school but I'd rather keep my dress and never wear it again or donate it for someone else to use. Of course the style is a little dated and the bride would have to seek the help of the show Something Borrowed/Something New to have it updated. Or perhaps, like my mom I'll wear my wedding dress again on my twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.


My Husband Ron and I on October 12th, 1991

Victoria Roder is the author of novels Bolt Action, Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary, and The Dream House Visions and Nightmares. She is also the author of several picture books, middle grade novels and puzzle books. Please feel free to visit her website. Victoria Roder 




11 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Location: Elkton, MD
Date: 1956
License: $6.00
Location: Presbyterian Manse: Free
Dress: Homemade; I still have it, and the hat...
Tip: $10.00

My husband was so excited he added $10.00 to the total cost.

Victoria Roder said...

That is awesome, Julie. Every once in awhile you hear of people today that keep the costs reasonable. My mother-in-law made the flowers and my veil for the wedding.

Michele said...

Our wedding didn't cost much, either. We spent our money on the honeymoon--two months in Europe and Israel!

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

We had no honeymoon, but in 1978, during a well- reported snowstorm, Jan. 26, (Ohio Valley)we had three weeks in the South Pacific.

Anonymous said...

I wanted a lavish wedding but didn't want the expense...and I got what I wanted. Brides can be money smart if they want to. It's not that difficult. It just takes initiative and know-how. The only thing I really splurged on was my cake. It had 8 tiers, two bridges, two staircases and a fountain and fed 500. Now brides have cupcakes, which is a whole lot easier!

Valerie Patterson

Stephanie Joyce Cole said...

Fun post. Occasionally I get sucked into watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and I'm astonished at the amounts that young brides commit to pay.

Heather Brainerd said...

What a fun post! I love watching "wedding dress" shows. Your dress was gorgeous!

Christopher Mannino said...

I just got married last month- ours was barely over 10k, but we did a full destination wedding on the beach- saved a lot by using the bride's brother as our DJ, and renting a beach house to both spend the night with our friends and also hold the dancing part of the ceremony. Still, weddings are super-pricey. :-)

tealady said...

Your wedding dress was beautiful,I know I was there.
My wedding cost $1000 and I had so many family and friends help me out.one girlfriend made my dress and she did my flowers.My sister Vicki and her husband Ron did all the music and it was a blast.A co-worker made my wedding cake 3 tier and had a water fall another friend took all the photos and her husband did the church music.My future mother-in-law bought all the paper products and decorations.Yes we had paper plates and not one person said a word about it lol.The largest cost was food,we rented out our local VFW hall for $35.00,I also bought my matron of honor and my maid of honor's dresses $10.00 each and my step daughters dresses and my husbands suit.We live in a smaller community and thats how weddings use to be,you were not to start your life together with debt hanging over your head.And the funny part was that we got $1000. back for wedding gifts,but that was 19 years ago.

Olga Godim said...

Gorgeous dress! And very interesting statistics in the post. I wonder how those numbers could be used in romance novels? Maybe the lovers would elope when they read the numbers? Or kick-start their wedding? How would that go?

Mark said...

I don't see Peace of Mind listed anywhwere as a cost.

Sorry -- the bachelor in me musta grabbed control for just a second. Interesting post, Vicki.