Tuesday, May 6, 2014

MAGIC POWERS


     When I discovered our theme for the month on Worlds of the Imaginations was magic powers I just had to get onboard and share this with the Writers Vineyard as well. J (I had previously said that I was going to use my fellow author's muses to assist me in writing future blog posts.)

     I began writing because I desperately craved having a magic power. And that theme has come out time and again in my novels. It’s allowed me to build worlds in ways that have satisfied my need to feel this power albeit through my characters.

     What is this power you ask? The power I most want is the power to heal another person. Not cutting into them like a surgeon or the dispensing of drugs, but laying on of hands to send the “powers of light” coursing into them and have them heal from the inside out. As if the condition had never existed in the first place.

     The first time I used this power of healing was in the novel, Forever Man, when my heroine healed her man to save the day. The second was in Blood Moon Justice where the heroine’s powers had been expanded to include not only healing, but telepathy and telekinesis. That gal was so good she worked in a bar and could stop a drink from hitting the floor and saving the cleanup! I so enjoy strong heroines. They need kick-ass attitude and have abilities I don’t have to make the journey with them satisfying for me. And in my imagination, that’s just so easy and so much fun to do.

     I look forward, with pleasure, to reading about other author’s super power choices.

Best,

January Bain

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

Big Mike said...

I believe fiction helps each of use separate from the specters hounding us in the real world, if only while buried in the book, and that is a sort of healing. Actually had readers share how they were so absorbed in my stories they forgot all the crap around them. Now that's nice to hear.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Mike, hope no one missed his dinner because of your engaging stories.

January,I do beleive in magic, or spiritual healing. Positive energy allows the body to heal. Your optomistic stories do also.

Liz Fountain said...

Me too, BM. Stories help us heal, as writers and as readers. January, your post is timed perfectly, because my second novel ("You, Jane," out in June) is all about the magic power of storytelling. And like all magic powers, it's complicated: Jane can write stories that come true, but she can't control how, when, where, or who they affect. Not exactly, anyway. This story started when I asked myself what magic power I'd want, and the idea of telling stories that come true popped into my mind.
Thanks! Liz

January Bain said...

Hi Mike, Julie, Liz! Thanks so much for your input! I to believe in magic and the magic of storytelling big time. Thanks so much for commenting and have a great healing day. Love January

Annabel Aidan said...

Writers do create magic, so you found the right profession!