Sunday, May 25, 2014

Connecting to my Inner Nut

An actual sausage queen
You can't make this up
picture thanks to Gastronomica
I recently finished proofing the ARC for my summer release for Champagne Books, Confessions of the Sausage Queen. As you can tell from the title, the book is a serious tome about sausage coronation. I’m kidding. The book is a wild romp, without a doubt the wildest romp I've taken in my comedies, and I once blew up a fictional dead whale, so this is saying something. It was fun to write, to let my imagination go bonkers, my inner kid shouting ‘go for it’ as I wondered if bologna eating goats were too far over the top, even for this story, while my inner critic, Zelda, rolled her eyes and sighed deeply.

I've been away from comedy for a while now. At present I’m writing a contemporary with a much more serious bent, and the last of my historical series—a  sweeping sort of love and adventure story, waits in the wings to be finished.  As I read through the crazy misadventures of the Sausage Queen, all the while rooting out double periods and extra capitalization, I felt a strange sort of wonder... How did I ever connect with the inner nut who wrote this? Am I even sure I wrote this? The answer is, of course, yes I did. Nuttiness resides inside of me and every once in a while, I have to let it out to play
.

My inner nut has been on vacation. But someday, maybe someday soon, she’ll come back home and demand I give her equal time. I’m sure of it. 

Til next time
Ute

3 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Inner nut is an excellent name for it. Quoting a song from Pajama Game 1954): This is my once a year day/...everyone's entitle to be wild, be a child, be a goof/raise the roof, once a year..."

Go for it!

Liz Fountain said...

Sounds wonderful, Ute - I'm picturing I Love Lucy meets sausage. :-)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Looks kind of like Lucy.