Friday, May 23, 2014

Back From A 'Break'



What do writers do when they take a break? Well, I can tell you what they don’t do—they don’t take a break. I’ve been on hiatus from The Writer’s Vineyard for a few months now. You’d think I’d be feeling refreshed and filled with ideas. You’d be right. What have I been doing with my time the past few months?

Easy one. I’ve been writing, promoting, writing, marketing, writing, editing…. Well, you get the picture. A few years ago, I decided to go on vacation to Maine without my laptop. (gasp) I know, but I was sure I’d be fine for a week. Did you know that you can find yellow legal pads and pens in almost the smallest of convenience stores in Maine? I sat down one morning to do a writing exercise on description, describing the sunrise. Four hours later I had a full outline and two chapters for a book.

These past few months, during my ‘break,’ I’ve finished one book, started two others that are in various stages of completion and published another. I survived the crazy winter weather and a nasty fall down icy steps while trying to perfect my Olympic ice dancing techniques. It was kind of like ‘ice dancing meets the flying Wollendas’. I'm neither graceful nor athletic. Ouch.

Still, I managed a local tour of four book signings and am in Pennsylvania right now for a signing tomorrow. I’m supposed to be on vacation! But, see, that’s the best thing about doing something you love. Something that gives much more than it demands. A writer is a writer is a writer. I outlined a new book the other day while waiting for my car’s oil to be changed.

How about you? What do you love to do that’s so much joy it never seems like real work?

Linda Rettstatt



3 comments:

Big Mike said...

Break? What the heck is that. Hey, that's one giant laptop.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I start out with good intentions, usually reading, and if that isn't compelling, I write -- something.

Liz Fountain said...

Welcome back! I am envious of your writing productivity. I am hoping and planning for something similar over the summer.

Liz