Friday, May 9, 2014

Are you in your books?

Recently I have come across an author who adamantly declares that she does not reveal any of her own personality in her books. I’m not sure I believe her, especially after reading her work. Frankly, I find it hard to accept that anyone can separate themselves so entirely from their writing. I certainly can’t.

I believe in the redemptive power of unconditional love. I believe that it takes more courage to grant forgiveness than to exact revenge. I believe that misunderstandings are best avoided by open communication. I believe that loyalty, honor, faithfulness and kindness need to have a place in our world. These themes feature largely in my work. How could they not?

It is true that I have yet to write a character who is a tall, overweight, middle-aged woman with a type-A personality and very few filters. While, I am not literally in my books, my beliefs and values are most definitely there. I don’t want to prevent these things, which form the core of who I am, from weaving their way into my books. I am not sure I understand why anyone would. I can’t imagine not pouring my heart and soul into a book.


That said, this is my own belief, based on my experiences as an author and a few discussions with other authors. I don’t have any independent data. What do you think? Are you revealed in your fiction or do you conscientiously avoid that? 

2 comments:

Big Mike said...

Yeah, I'm in ever hero of all twenty stories, at least to some degree.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

My lives are on my lines.

My characters speak my mind. I've improved my appearance. They all dress better than I do, but none of them like shopping.

All the things I learned volunteering in bereaveent with hospice and on the floors in nursing homes are reflected from my pages.