Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Don't You Love Writing?



In my mind, I have an image of the perfect place to write. I’m in a cabin in the woods at a desk facing an open window with a view of snow covered mountains. Pots of hot tea magically appear with the occasional cookie. The strong wifi signal attaches me to a massive cable providing an instantaneous internet connection. My springer, Jazz, lies at my feet.

Do you have a favorite writing spot?

The image above is fantasy. In reality, I find I need to change up the game often. So you’ll find me in the den, or the back room of the house, in one of many Seattle coffee shops, on a plane or train with my trusty laptop. I like noise and silence, activity and stillness. 


I have a friend who writes in one particular coffee shop, drinking a specific caffeinated beverage while munching on chocolate. If the stars don’t align, the writing doesn’t flow. Others like to be surrounded with images and music connected to their current work in progress. 

When do you like to write?

For some authors, the decision about when to write has nothing to do with ‘like’. If you have a job, kids, other responsibilities, the writing happens when you make the time. I know one author who gets up around 4:30 to write for two hours before work. Another takes every Sunday and a few minutes on weekday evenings. I’ve made some choices so writing is my full time gig. Five days a week, I’m focused on my writing and the business of writing (which can take up more time than the writing if you’re not careful) for 5-6 hours. 

What technology do you use to write?

Does anyone use a pen and paper anymore?  I’ve got an Apple Air. Everything I do is digital. But recently I was mulling over a rather complicated plot line and found myself using a pad of paper and a fountain pen. Yes, a fountain pen. I needed to step back from the woods, see the forest, create a more visual image of the plot line.  There was something about those old tools without instant spell check or a delete button that slowed things down. As the ink flowed, I had time to ponder. As I revised I left a trail of lined out text, mind maps and doodles—the detritus of my creative process.  99.99% of my work is and will continue to be on the laptop, but it’s nice to change things up, get the energy to flow in new and old ways.


Don’t you love writing?

Richard Hacker is the author of

CHAIN REACTION
DIRTY WATER
TOXIC RELATIONSHIP
Available Now from Champagne Books or your favorite digital bookseller

Web & Blog: www.richardhacker.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RWHacker
Twitter: @Richard_Hacker


5 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I have my perfect place, an office at the far end of our California Ranch in Daytona Beach, FL. It’s the over-the-water- accommodation (Pool water).

I love writing and have resorted to hand to paper methods for mapping out a room or a scene. Whatever works. I like silence or the white noise here in Quiet Circle that is WWI and WWII being fought over our rooftop by retired geezers in bi-plains. They live in John Travolta's old neighborhood. There’s always huge and small birds, tree frogs and squirrels barking.

Once I start writing, I don’t hear a thing.

Liz Fountain said...

I've experienced some of my most productive writing at NaNoWriMo write-ins in noisy, crowded bars. Sometimes I need to be alone in absolute quiet. One project seems to require me to work in a coffee shop - any coffee shop, as long as it's not home.

I also love using pen and paper at times. Nothing like the experience of being more physically connected to the page.

Thanks, Richard!

Liz

Ute Carbone said...

I write all my first drafts out long hand. I grab my journal (ever changing and whatever I find on sale), my bic pen and my imagination and curl up somewhere and write out the scene as it enters my head.

Richard Hacker said...

How interesting that you all mention using a pen and paper for some aspect of your work. I do as well when I need to get a visual perspective of a plot or room. I have to say I kind of admire a long hand first draft, but my hand cramps as I type those words!

Big Mike said...

On my pouch on a fall day looking across at our mountain. Man oh man.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)