Saturday, April 5, 2014

Book Signing Presentation




This year I set New Year's goals that included a certain amount of speaking engagements and attending a specific amount festivals or sales. This picture is from a few months ago, but today I am attending a children's festival and my preparation had me thinking about visual presentation.


Step 1: Be Prepared
-Make a checklist of the things you will need. In addition to your books, you may need a table, chairs, table cloth, promotional items, cash, pen, maybe a cooler with water and food. Outdoors? Hat, sunscreen, bug spray.


Step 2: Set Up
-Make your area warm and welcoming. A table cloth is homey, perhaps a battery operated lamp. I have props of a stuffed dog, a haunted house and Noah's Ark. Each item has something to do with a  book I wrote. 


Step 3: Vertical
-To catch someone's eye, use picture easels to showcase your books. Posters of your book covers, banners and signs catch the eye.


Step 4: Engage
-This is not the time to work on your computer. Stand, greet people, smile. Give the log line for your book. Even if it is slow, talk with the other vendors.


Step 5: Keep things in perspective
-Even getting one book in the hands of a potential fan is more than you would have sold sitting at home being a hermit.

I'd love to hear your ideas or tricks for book signings. Please feel free to visit me at www.victoriaroder.com


7 comments:

Victoria Roder said...

After analyzing my own presentation, I purchased more book easels. I buy them at the dollar store, that's right, for a dollar.

Victoria Roder said...

After analyzing my own presentation, I purchased more book easels. I buy them at the dollar store, that's right, for a dollar.

Suzanne de Montigny said...

I can't wait to have a print book so I too can do this.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I miss my book easels. The only things, beside a SMITHSONION Magazine, that has ever been stolen from our home were four $1.00 book easels that I got from Wal-Mart. The housekeeper we had then either took them or buried them five years ago!

Victoria Roder said...

Suzanne, I think you'd love the interaction at festivals. Julie, you'll have to replace your easels, it's great to display the books. I'd love to find something to keep a picture book open to a fun page and display it upright.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Vicki, you can keep the Wal-Mart ones open by a little weaving and balancing. Also they stack. Five pushed together would take up about 6" by 4 inches, by 4 inches, and they can be bent to angles.

Big Mike said...

Just had a nice banner produced for when I do signings. Must printing shops will make one for ya. Also have Hi Res laminated prints of my covers to display in T stands. Next time I do a signing I'll share a photo. Thanks.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)