Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Whirlwind


There is a line in "Another Auld Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg that pretty well describes every artist's quandary: "The audience is heavenly but the traveling is hell." Talk to many authors and soon you'll get the impression that completing a novel and sharing the tale is heavenly, but oh mah gawd, marketing is drudgery, a Sisyphean task in the seventh level of hell.

There is always a flurry around a release date. As previously discussed in "T-Minus Thirty and Counting" by Kerry Tolan, there is much to do to make that baby launch beautifully, from sprucing up the website to making sure you have all the linking details set. Marketing starts the moment you finish the rough draft and picks up speed the closer you get to the Big Day.

Brown leather Rabbit Mask on Etsy I might actually buy...
To that end, I'm donning my Blog Bunny mask for my first Blog Hopping Tour to promote the February 3 release of A Torrid Tango, which is the third novella in my Save The Last Dance contemporary romance series. I'm scheduled from today through the middle of March at various venues around the Interwebs. Composing all those posts has been a little nerve-wracking for me; I should know better than to plan this sort of activity during my day job's high season. But we desert lizards thrive on nervous energy, and as the saying goes, I'll sleep when I'm dead. I intend to have a grand time of contests and giveaways and lively dance discussions.

So for all you writers out there who think your work is done when you get that final edition in your hands, let me burst your little bubble with a resounding POP! You've only just begun. Get ready to travel on the road to perdition--but remember, you can have fun along the way.

Jude's Bouncing Blog Bunny Hop (so far):
February 1: The Writer's Vineyard
February 8: A Torrid Tango release Par-Tay on Facebook
February 10: It's a Love-Struck Valentine's Day Blog Hop
February 12: Cowboy Casanova Blog Hop
February 13: Lucky Thirteen with Liz Fountain
February 26: Courage with Ceci Giltenan
March 18:     Underground Tango in Tucson with Savvy Authors

Happy Hopping, Fellow Blog Bunnies!

~Jude
http://jude-johnson.com




2 comments:

Big Mike said...

Ah, Dan Fogelberg. One of my favorites. Especially the song where at the end, "the snow turned into rain.

One real hard part of self promo, you never truly know what works and doesn't.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Jude Johnson said...

True, Mike. but we just keep on plugging, right?
I adored Fogelberg and was fortunate to see him in concert a few times. His lyrics were incredibly insightful.