Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Long is This Winter of Our Discontent - A Writer's Survival Guide



The reality is that we're discontented with this winter. Will the gloom never end? Of course, those of you aware of where I live are probably scoffing at the minimalist winters we on the Gulf Coast experience. Scoff all you want, it's still been a lousy winter by anybody's standards.

No matter where you live, all of us are living through more cold, rainy/snowy days than we're used to or want to including my crazy Aunt that complains when Lake Ontario hasn't frozen thick enough, whatever that means, I mean frozen is frozen in my opinion.
Frozen enough for you Auntie?
The plus of all this yuckiness (and yes there is a plus) is that when the  weather is bad, we're stuck inside and inside is the best place to write. Oh I know, some writers wax poetic about writing on a sunny hillside, but unless they're using paper and pencil, it ain't happening. The glare on most laptops (including my beloved Mac) makes it impossible to write outside. Since we're forced indoors, we might as well write. I am doing just that and am getting some good stuff written.

Well, actually, I've been revising and struggling with passive voice for some bizarre reason. Passive voice has never been one of my writing problems, overuse of conjunctions is my major writing snafu, so why I'm suddenly stricken with the passive voice bug is a mystery, a lazy, meandering, passive one for sure.

Anyway, as I was saying before obsessing on my newest writing nemesis, let's use this loathsome winter to energize our writing. I realize it's hard to stay focused and positive when gloomy cold lingers outside our windows. Still, it's what we need to do, it's what I need to do.


And for my good friend freezing in her drizzly world of snow and dark skies and cold temperatures--you've got nothing else to do, you might as well get writing and remember:


8 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

In Cleveland, a hot water bottle was a part of my attire, over the toes or under the feet.

I'm currently reading Under the Wide and Starry Sky, about Robert Louis Stevenson. One winter in Saranac, NY, (1887-88) the ink froze in the pot. We must count ourselves lucky!

Big Mike said...

Everyone a a writer ghost that haunts their muse. My is the infamous typo (here,hear, there, their, ensure, insure, etc). I am terrible at it. Fortunately I picked a beta team that's not).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Nikki Andrews said...

Recently a friend told me her struggles with watering the 6 alpacas in her care. Despite the taps in the barn, two or three times a day she lugged buckets of hot water (so it would stay liquid longer) to the ungrateful beasts, who spat at her. I enjoy a lot of things about winter, but even I am tired of snow and ice. Gotta go do some more writing.

Richard Hacker said...

You know how someone says how bad the weather is and there's always this one #@$%! who chimes in about wonderful their weather has been?

So I'll choose to end my comment right here...

Gabriella Austen said...

Yes, at least our ink doesn't freeze, although keyboards are known to do so.

Gabriella Austen said...

Now Richard, I didn't say our days have been halcyon, we've just not had a snowpocalypse.

Gabriella Austen said...

Big Mike, at least I have no trouble with those terms, but I agree we all have out verbal nemeses. My complaint is with this new one that has cropped up just when I thought it was safe to write.

Gabriella Austen said...

Nikki, why would anyone choose to have alpacas is a mystery to me.