Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fifteen Thousand Useful Phrases


 

I recently downloaded the above mentioned e-book by Grenville Kleiser from manybooks.net (from the Gutenberg Project, one of my favorite websites for it makes so many e-books available for free as a virtual library for the everyman) and found it quite a good solid reference for my writing. I wanted to share some of the colorful useful phrases I found with all of you.

 

*For touches of evil one might try:

foul and ominous

pusillanimous and petty (cowardly)

paroxysmal of rage (for an outburst)

 

*For delightful moments:

piquant allusions   

 

*For really quaint moments:

prolegomenous babbler (for a preliminary discussion)

sentimental twaddle

 

And just to sound well read:

preternatural sagacity

obtuse and imbecile

 

And the really strange:

pinchbeck dignity (cheap imitation)

seraphic promiscuousness

 

You get the point. It’s actually been a delightful reference and I enjoy keeping it open on my desktop just to inform my writing from time to time. We all get into patterns of using similar phrases and so it can be a good thing, I think to try to say something differently.

 

Wishing you all a great day!

Best,

January

The Forever Series

Champagne Books

 

 

3 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I'm a big fan of word usage variations. Charles Krauthammer, a syndicated political columnist, uses many unusual words, but backs them up with information that informs the reader.

English is a rich language, just ask a person trying to learn it.

Big Mike said...

Great info. Got a link for the download?

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

January Bain said...

Charles sounds like my kind of man, Julie. I'll send you the download big Mike! thanks for commenting.