Saturday, February 15, 2014

Calling All Authors: Can you relate? By: Rebecca Draco-Savage-Giallongo: February 15, 2014

Calling All Authors: Can you relate? By: Rebecca Draco-Savage-Giallongo: February 15, 2014

Because this is the beginning of the year, a time when most people make their goals and New Year resolutions, here are a few things all writers can relate to:

...Stay inspired. Of course the way I do that is: I go to MORWA meetings, RWA nationals, stay alert to articles online, tweet, connect on Linked In, and whatever else I can do to stay in tune with other writers with the same issues I have. But everyone has their own way of staying inspired and keeping at the keyboard. Mary Kennedy Eastham says, “I give myself one little treat at the end of every week when I meet my goals. On Sundays, I try to jot down a loose plan of what I want to accomplish with my writing during the week.” I can’t say I’m that organized. I’m a pantser. Not that I don’t basically know what my deadlines are and where I’m going with WIP’s and edits, but I tend to focus more on editing and promo more during the school year than actual hard core writing because I’m a high school teach and university professor. So energy and time are an issue for me during the school year. And I’ll bet there are lots of people that can relate to the lack of time problem also.

...Make writing a priority. Of course issue relates back to work and other life time suck getting in the way. Mary Kennedy Eastham says, “Life gets in the way so don't be too hard on yourself; BUT if you feel yourself slipping behind, assess what you can let go of that is keeping you away from your writing and get back on track.” It’s all about choices, priorities. My kids are mine. Nothing else matters more. Well, except my grandkids. So I tend to rank life and events around family, friends, work, working out (exercise), writing, church, and other things on down the line. I never procrastinate, and I am busy all the time, so I tend to time manage better than anyone I know, and I always hope things will turnout for the best,, and they do. Even if I’m not always aware of that until things play out and I realize all is well. Hindsight sometimes make things look better than they do when you’re stressed and trying to pull things off all at once, meet deadlines, get multiple jobs done, hang out with loved ones, and coach competition teams…and write.

...Read good writing. I have a problem when it comes to reading. I like to read to the end of whatever book I pick up. Even if it’s bad writing. Because even a boring book that isn’t perfectly written has redeeming value, and I have to get to the end of the story. Although, I do admit, I have started giving away books recently that I just couldn’t finish. So, I do try to read all books to the end, but I have sort of made writing a priority, which means if time is a problem, then I can’t waste it reading bad work. Mary Kennedy Eastham says, “I sometimes forget this. Good writing begets your own good writing.” She’s right. Not that I want to copy someone else’s style or work, but practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. So read good stuff. Write good stuff. Practice by seeing how others get ahead and become successful. It’s instructive. Not destructive.

...Stay accountable. If everyone did this, the world would be better off, not just you as a writer. MORWA has a goal tending group that sets themselves goals, and gets rewards for making them. It keeps them on track. I stick with deadlines, tell myself to get something done on time, and then I do it. Period. No procrastinating. Well, unless one of my other priorities gets in the way, but I don’t’ let it hold me down completely, just butt in for a bit, then I get back on track and get it done. Mary Kennedy Eastham says, “Some people find belonging to writing groups work for them. I've joined several Yahoo writing groups. It's fun to hear member's good news and share a little good news of my own.”

So there you have it! Some things I think you can all relate to. Now stop reading…and go write your little hearts out!
Rebecca Draco (aka Rebecca Savage aka Rebecca Giallongo)

rebeccadraco.weebly.com

4 comments:

Big Mike said...

Fortunately I'm retire which means I have opportunities to write, but for those that have to work a full time job, free time is a rare commodity. Those that can write with a hundred consumers of their time deserve respect.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Annabel Aidan said...

All excellent points.

Writers write. "Aspiring" writers spend a lot of time avoiding writing. It's part of what separates them.

Rebecca Draco-Savage-Giallongo said...

As a teacher, energy only lasts so long and I'm brain dead when I get home during weeknights, so I write mostly on weekends and in the summer:)

Rebecca Draco-Savage-Giallongo said...

It seems like I aspire to alot of things but it's hard to get to the top; I'm happy with where I am...most of the time:)