Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Promotion Plan For My Next Novel "Tracks"

If there is one thing that remains a constant in any writing forum, it is the subject of promotion.  With a sea of choices for readers to wade through, standing out from the crowd is a challenge.  My new fantasy novel "Tracks" will be out in ninety days.  The initial success of the launch is all about promoting the novel ahead of time.

So what have I done so far?  For starters, I took a hard look at my author's website and found it wanting.  The thing was a bit "heavy" with borders and such that have fallen out of vogue with the new "clean" approach.  While I might overlook such a bother, the inability of my site to present itself on a smart phone (without a lot of stretching) was a real flaw.  If a prospective reader jumps on my site, they shouldn't have to do anything but read.  To that end, I revamped the site's appearance and made it mobile-ready.  For those web-savvy types, this meant using a framework called "Bootstrap" that does most of the magic itself.

Next came the addition of the "Tracks" pages for the site.  I've completed most of the work, and will have something to load up to the server thirty days ahead of launch.  This will include the all-important first chapter and prologue so as to allow the novel to sell itself.  Background and character descriptions will open readers' eyes to the fact that this isn't any ordinary fantasy.  No elves, wizards, vampires, or any other of the deeply-trodden tropes.   

Blogs.  I've already mentioned "Tracks" here, and am scheduled to do some boasting on the launch week at two other blogs as well.

My convention display now includes a banner featuring a character from "Tracks", and I recently purchased some metal art of a fanciful steam engine to help catch the eye.  Once the book's cover is finalized, I will create a vertical banner as well.

Thirty days ahead of release I will open the new Tracks portion of my site and soft sell "sneak peeks". 

On launch day I have the "buy" links up and announce to the world that "Tracks" is now available.  Just as soon as paper backs are available, I will buy at least twenty for conventions where I will be drawing as much attention to the novel as possible.

I will also send the novel into the EPIC E-book awards this year.  Even being on a finalist list is gravy for advertising.

And that's how I promote a new book.

Kerry
www.kmtolan.com

Vincent’s sister is swept away by a steam locomotive riding rails that vanish along with her. Ten years later he rediscovers those tracks, and heads down them to bring her back.
Tracks - Coming in March 2014

1 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Sounds like a plan. A good plan. You are so right about Mobile ready format.