Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!!!

On this New Year’s day, I’m visiting family and friend in Austin, Texas, eating way too much BBQ and TexMex, watching football, and doing my very best to relax.  I hope you’re doing the same. In fact, why are you reading this blog? It’s New Year’s Day! 

Writers, by nature, are a pretty disciplined bunch of people. Yes, we moan about how we’re not writing or reading or editing or promoting enough. But the author biz requires a level of personal commitment and follow through.  At the New Year’s Eve party, when someone found out you were a writer or a published author about 75% of them went on to tell you about the novel they want to write one of these days.  Even in this new world of self-publishing, “one of these days” is what sets authors apart. From a poem to a short story to a novel, an author configures life to, as we say in Texas, “getter done.“ There is no boss to harangue us, performance evaluation process to haunt us, or customers to demand we come through with the goods. Yes, some of us have agents or publishers applying some pressure, but on the whole, most writers, most of the time have to be self-disciplined actors taking independent initiative. And we do this writing thing with no guarantees of readers, big contracts, or movie deals.  We write because we must. 

So to all my fellow hard working, self-starting, creative artist of the word, I encourage you to take this New Year’s Day to heart: sit back, relax, let the laptop cool down, give your printer some time to recoup. Yeah, I see your knowing smile. You and I both know we need to enjoy this moment because tomorrow we’ll be neck deep in plot lines, promotion, research, revision...well, the list goes on and on.


May 2014 be a year filled with creativity, passion and success!

Richard Hacker

DIRTY WATER
TOXIC RELATIONSHIP
Available from Champagne Books at your favorite digital bookseller

Web & Blog: www.richardhacker.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RWHacker
Twitter: @Richard_Hacker

4 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Hard to do when we are just feet away from our offices.

Happy new year and enjoy the Tex-Mex. My favorite, too.

Big Mike said...

Indeed. Given the lower than expected returns the majority of authors receive, its very difficult to remain motivated. I'd said a third of authors I began with 7 years ago decided to take down their writer shingle and invest time in some other endeavor. Guess I'm a hard head cause I just keep going like that little drummer bunny.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Allison Knight said...

You said it well! We write because we have to! And I've already been in my office twice today.

Liz Fountain said...

My break from writing (revising, revising, revising) includes reading great blogs like this one. It's rejuvenating. But now I have an uncontrollable craving for TexMex....

Happy new year Richard!