Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Is this crazy or what?!


 

Today I decided to take stock of my works-in-progress, my half-finished novels and novellas, and my works that need polishing. I was actually astounded at what I have discovered. Three full-sized novels of more than seventy-five thousand words each, two completed novellas, three going-to-be novels about half done, and one full novel and one novella needing polishing. Add to that list four published novels (Forever Series) for Champagne Books during the last two years and I am wondering how I managed this output in just five years. I reckon that’s about 702,943 words, not counting countless blogs and rewrites in that time, all done well holding down a full time teaching position. What do I think of this?

I think I found the right second career for me. I love to write, that’s kind of obvious. (More than I like to sleep and that’s saying something!) And I’m glad I took a few minutes today to celebrate how much I’ve done in half a decade. Of course, now the real work begins, finishing up some of these works because soon as I checked out the list I found they were screaming at me to give them my undivided time and energy to help them see the light of day.

How many of you have taken stock like this over the years and were astonished by what you found? I would love to hear from you. A writer’s journey always fascinates me.

Best,

January Bain

Storyteller/the Forever Series

5 comments:

Rita Bay said...

So what are you going to do with those ready-to-publish novels? HMMMM? Would love to read more of your stories.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Congratulations on your output. I agree with Rita, time to finalize a few and let them fly.

Angelina Windsor said...

Good Advice, thanks!

Big Mike said...

I'm up to 20 releases and love ever one.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Liz Fountain said...

Send those stories out into the world! I've got three rough manuscripts in backlog, and am itching to get to them once I send my latest revisions to my editor on the next to be published. This is joyful work!