Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Attitude is Everything - How's Yours?

The holidays are often the times when many start feeling down, or sorry for themselves, and toss a writer in the midst of that, and you have a recipe for disaster.

So, I follow a lot of writer blogs and websites, and so many of them have stories filled with success. Thousands of copies sold over the year. Myself, not so much (as I chronicled in my recent sales update). So, I'm left wondering what am I doing wrong? Don't leave such an open-ended question out for a writer, someone who's used to constructing elaborate plots, because the number of reasons for slow sales could be mind-boggling.

Then I realized that a "woe is me" attitude in regards to low sales (the same could be said for lack of acceptances when querying or submitting to magazines) is counter-productive. A defeatist attitude is going to only lead to further defeat, and the vicious cycle will continue. So, instead, I decided it was time to do something about boosting my attitude out of the gutter, and improving my lot in (this writer's) life.

I have two projects on the immediate horizon, and both have been moving slowly along. I have a two-week break at the end of this month, which I plan to use to its fullest to complete the first draft of both. Maybe I'll even get one of them completely finished...because the truth of the matter is, I have had sales in the past, and many of my readers are rabid readers of anything Aston West. So, the sooner I get new projects completed, the sooner they can get new material into their hot little hands.

So, how about all of you? How's your attitude (and this isn't just limited to writers, but everyone)? Does it need some improvement? How are you going to do it?

4 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

If we don't like ourselves, who will? That goes for our writing or any other product of our mind. (Makes you wonder about Jackson Pollack and Robert Mapplethorpe -- oou yuck!)

We writers at Champagne have nothing to be apologetic for, so let's buck up. Christmas comes but once a year! Writing is forever, or until they pry the keyboard from our cold dead hands.

Big Mike said...

It's taken a lot of adjustment, but I no longer lament crapy sales. Why? I've had a paradigm shift. I write because I love it and I'm lucky enough to have a publisher that loves my work. I will continue to explore new avenues to promote but when one experiment delivers null results, I no longer get depressed, rather theorize new possibilities. I now know 24 things that suck promo wise and three that actually work, just need to find more in the "work" column.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Ceci Giltenan said...

Well said Mike. I think it was Einstein who said, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Pose a hypothesis, test it, if it doesn't work pose another one. That is where the excitement is for me. What else can I try?
Ceci

Liz Fountain said...

I suppose that authors, like anyone, see what we project. If we project the joy we take in our own creative work, that's what will come back to us.

Liz