Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Personal Secrets and Character Connections


Recently I was looking for ideas online for blog topics. Ideas abound and I thought, um, that one seems like fun, “share a personal secret”. So what the heck, here goes. I write songs solely for my cats. That’s right! I am tunefully challenged, but I really enjoy crooning made-up lyrics to my three furry babies. Now, you must be wondering, how does this fit in with a writing blog? I know it’s a stretch and after writing blogs for years, sometimes you have to stretch, but to write those songs I need to have some writing and rhyming ability. Almost like writing poetry which I loved to do as a child which does not seem more than an infinitesimal time ago. Is anyone else having that problem, thinking that time is passing by too quickly? I don’t mean to go on a tangent here, but it amazes me how time is passing. I want a do-over!!!

Part Two of my blog is about writing characters. I have been writing pretty much without a break now for five years this past October. I remember vividly why I started this journey, and it’s as fresh in my mind today as that day. I was watching The Green Mile starring Tom Hanks and I was struck by the character that was able to draw in the cancer cells and death cells out of another human and then expel them from his own body through his mouth, saving their life. I coveted that ability. My first book, Forever Man, was about this very wonderful healing gift that the main character, Ellie, had. It’s been a few years since I wrote that story, but I missed writing as that character for the obvious reason that I got to be her when I wrote.
So it came to me; I want to write from first person perspective for a whole lot of books where the character has special gifts denied to human beings. But who would she be? This past summer I found her and have written over eighty thousand words about her journey since August 8th. She’s so many things I wish I was: courageous, beautiful, compassion, a spit-fire at heart, a half-angel human, and of course, a healer. In her case the healing power is in her blood because she is half-angel, part of what I call the Angelhood.
I’ve called my new heroine, Trixie Lee Bútton. She’s from Heartland, Texas and owns a bar with her brother Corey called Sweetwater’s because her grandpa stopped by a creek on the property and declared it, “the sweetest water he’d ever had”, causing him to settle in right on the spot.

The story has many more supernaturals than any story I’ve written. Everything from dragons to vampires, from the elusive Sasquatch to shapeshifters and werewolves, we’ve got them all! I feel invigorated writing from Trixie’s viewpoint and I wonder if the writer community out there has chosen a similar route to creating a book? I’d love to hear from you.

Best,
January Bain
Storyteller
Forever Series
Champagne Books

5 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

The Green Mile is one of my favorites of Stephen King's. Get a paper copy and read the first few chapters. He elaborates on his old man. Ever since reading it, I know I don't want to live on "Georgia Pines time." Nursing home refrence left out of the movie.

We have to be in the moment, oriented and working. That's the early message there.

January, there are healers in this world, but they are in the right place at the exact time they're needed because a higher authority has a plan.

Big Mike said...

Now that's just weird (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

January Bain said...

So true, Julie. Thanks for commenting Julie and Mike. You guys are great!

Linda Rettstatt said...

I've started several books with only a title. I tend to use metaphor a lot and the title is often a metaphor for the character's journey in the story. I build from there. If you figure out how to get that 'do over', please let me know, 'cause I want one,too!

Liz Fountain said...

I think I write characters that help me explore the things I'd love to be - strong, courageous, feisty - and the things I fear I am - weak, silly, inadequate - and the things I hope I'm not - mean, evil, vengeful. Characters give us ways to try all these things on and see the world through their eyes, and that's part of the joy of this work, for me.