Sunday, October 20, 2013

Soft Reboot

With growing regularity, whether it’s the fact that I’m getting older (and probably learning to appreciate the simple things in life), but weekends are no longer about ‘catching up’ with writing projects or revising what I’d written during the week. Weekends are all about me, and mental vegetation. After all, isn’t that what weekends are all about?

I remember my school days, where I looked forward to the weekend like my life depended on it, as if it was the only thing that kept me going through the week (well, it kinda was). Then, somewhere along the line, in the maturing process and as I joined the work crew, weekends became just another day to do more things work-related. I know, yuck, right? But you don’t think about it, and just do it and tally it up to another achievement achieved, another paycheque well-earned, another task complete ahead of schedule.

But now, I’ve regressed and hold weekends as if it were the demi-god of sanctuary and relief. Why, I believe there's even a chant and dance performed in its honour every Friday. In the last few years, work or completing loose ends has taken a back seat—like way, way in the back. Perhaps my priorities have changed, shifted. Aside from the usual chores, I try to do absolutely nothing that involves too much mental straining. For me, it’s a time to reconnect with my brain, like a soft reboot. Shying away from the social networks, spending time with hubby, going out, entertaining, being entertained, laughing, sleeping more and just disconnecting from everything.

And you know what, come Monday, despite the ‘rough’ weekend of enjoying me-time, I do feel creatively recharged and ready for another session of reading, writing, and (yuck) work. And guess what? I haven’t missed anything ‘important’ on the social networks, or haven’t lost the drive to write (or work), or haven’t lost anything. Period. In fact, I've gained more. More energy, more creativity, more sanity. All the sayings are true, all work and no play make for dull people and such, and recharging the batteries make for better productivity. S’truth!

Of course, I realize that not everyone can operate like this, or can have such luxuries as we each have our own set of pressures and deadlines and commitments. But for me, weekends are mini vacations, like a well-deserved treat. The work can wait.

Cheers!


4 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Very true, TK. A break of any kind is a fresh look. Creativity never happens if you can't look away and dream.

January Bain said...

Well said, TK. Weekends should be about a soft reboot whenever possible. Your writing and your life will benefit. Best, January

Victoria Roder said...

What a wonderful outlook. I have started where Saturday night is just for the Hubby and I and that has been awesome!

Liz Fountain said...

It seems kind of nuts, but it's true - if we don't make time commitments to ourselves, we'll find ourselves without any time. I mentor doctoral students in eight-week seminars. During week seven, I'm reading drafts of their dissertation studies. I tell them to take the week "off" their research, and spend it recharging their creative batteries. They cook, go to concerts, clean house (I know, but they do) - all kinds of stuff that works for them. Many students have told me that week off is the best thing that's happened to their research, and they get their best ideas after having stepped away.
Thanks!
Liz